Algebra and logarithms

Guest sibon
What percentage of the population need algebra, as opposed to car mechanics?

I need algebra for my job and for everyday life.

I have a car mechanic. I need him too.

I never understood algebra at school and all the Pure Maths stuff though I think that was mainly down to not having a good maths teacher to explain it all however when it came to logarithms I loved them. Anything to do with Applied Mathematics and off I went and I can still do them even without a calculator and yes I have used them. My grandfather was an Engineer and he taught me the applied Maths formulae before secondary school.

If I have to find X if Y2 goes with Z2 I haven't got a clue, same with fractions etc and I left school 30+ years ago, its never done me any harm. I can work out square yardage etc (yes I still use inches etc) in my head and that's good enough for me:) though I suppose its not correct with the EU but I don't care, it works for me

---------- Post added 01-03-2015 at 20:08 ----------

I left school in 1963 and there has never been one single moment of my life since when I thought that being taught logarithms was of any use !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whereas I use can use Logarithms, the working out tax bit of maths was my worst nightmare at school, thank heavens for Sage Drag and Drop accounting :D

---------- Post added 01-03-2015 at 20:11 ----------

I am informed that hairdressing is/was equivalent to 3 GCSEs.

Because I had 8 GCSE equivalents I think it was does that put me into the Rocket Scientist category plus my other higher qualifications? ::D

I never understood algebra at school and all the Pure Maths stuff though I think that was mainly down to not having a good maths teacher to explain it all however when it came to logarithms I loved them. Anything to do with Applied Mathematics and off I went and I can still do them even without a calculator and yes I have used them. My grandfather was an Engineer and he taught me the applied Maths formulae before secondary school.

If I have to find X if Y2 goes with Z2 I haven't got a clue, same with fractions etc and I left school 30+ years ago, its never done me any harm. I can work out square yardage etc (yes I still use inches etc) in my head and that's good enough for me:) though I suppose its not correct with the EU but I don't care, it works for me

---------- Post added 01-03-2015 at 20:08 ----------

Whereas I use can use Logarithms, the working out tax bit of maths was my worst nightmare at school, thank heavens for Sage Drag and Drop accounting :D

---------- Post added 01-03-2015 at 20:11 ----------

Because I had 8 GCSE equivalents I think it was does that put me into the Rocket Scientist category plus my other higher qualifications? ::D

not got one in english then

I am informed that hairdressing is/was equivalent to 3 GCSEs.

That doesn't mean to say it's being taught in school though. There aren't 14 year olds taking selecting their options and picking History, French and Hairdressing, these are courses for further education.

When a course such as BTEC, HND, City & Guilds (probably showing my age as I'm not sure what the modern equivalents are) is being 'equivalent to X GCSE's' it's to tot up the number of qualifications needed to do something like a degree foundation course or A Levels.

No one cares about GCSE's once you have A Levels and beyond anyway. I don't even list them on my CV.

That doesn't mean to say it's being taught in school though. There aren't 14 year olds taking selecting their options and picking History, French and Hairdressing, these are courses for further education.

Yes, it was taught at my daughters school, but since Michael Goves changes, its been dropped; that was my reason for posting the topic.