Work ethics and todays youth

I see what you say about market rates, creating a cash surplus etc. What im saying is those market rates can be derisory. I certainly wouldnt work for 6.50 per hour in the UK and never employed anyone on that.

Even my Indian workers earn more.

Some bigger shops for instance pay rubbish yet make loads of profit for shareholders. Something wrong there. Why not give workers a cut of the profit like John Lewis. They dont exploit workers and do alright.

---------- Post added 28-02-2015 at 13:26 ----------

What bothers me most and what Jace was on about is when you have big shot MD's in big new cars claiming poverty and paying workers who are making them money min wage.

Like he said he sat down with those owners, questioned them about their financial position and they couldnt answer straight.

Even your Indian workerwould agree:(

Keeping this back on topic there is a problem with many young people coming into work very enthusiastic, but wanting to call the shots (as seen above).

When they don't get their way, they leave saying that this time next year will be millionaires.

All successful people in business started off somewhere. Young people need to learn the basics of a job and be able to switch off at the end of the day.

I think young people have been mugged off by shows like dragons den and the apprentice. The reality is most rich entrepreneurs struggled for years before making any money.

The best young person I ever employed was an apprentice. Better than a lot of graduates who can be totally clueless, unrealistic and workshy tbh.

---------- Post added 01-03-2015 at 11:12 ----------

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Finally, the most sensible post I have seen in ages.

People seem to think they are OWED a living. I too started on around the same moving up to the dizzying heights of £5600 a YEAR for my first full time job.

I found a way to manage. It was tough but I survived and it made we want to keep moving up the ladder, training, learning, further education to get to the highest of my grades and move up to an income bracket I wanted.

Nobody wants to do that anymore. They all want to go to uni, live the "student lifestyle" and then walk into a £50k+ job with a team of staff at their beck and call.

Nobody is prepared to start on the bottom rung. Start as a tea boy and doing the photocopying.

They all think the world owes them. Tax credits were a labour invention and should never have been brought in. People survived for years without such "top up" benefit. Its a joke.

A living wage is making your money stretch for whatever purpose you can afford not some made up figure from a think tank.

So we shouldnt have tax credits or a living wage?

How would that work??? More foodbanks? Where people going to live, cardboard boxes?

I think young people have been mugged off by shows like dragons den and the apprentice. The reality is most rich entrepreneurs struggled for years before making any money.

The best young person I ever employed was an apprentice. Better than a lot of graduates who can be totally clueless, unrealistic and workshy tbh.

---------- Post added 01-03-2015 at 11:12 ----------

How would that work??? More foodbanks? Where people going to live, cardboard boxes?

You think a lot of kids actually watch dragons den and the apprentice and are so influenced by those shows they expect too much? Cripes if that's the case we really do have problems!

It worked perfectly well up to 2003. The streets were not littered with people living in cardboard boxes. There were not mobs of people outside every supermarket screaming they could not afford food.

Funny how people just seemed to deal with it. Their wage was their wage and they managed to live the best they could afford to do so.

Along came Labour and their union puppet masters screaming poverty on everyone. Suddenly everyone MUST have at least wtc to survive. Experts were suddenly reporting that people were "living in modern day poverty" Suddenly everyone must have a pay increase in order to buy things and put a roof over their head. Suddenly everyone is not able to afford food and must have handouts from foodbanks.

What's changed? Cost of living REALLY increased that much? horse crap.

More like people's expectations of what a living wage is has been totally blurred by the rent a gob unions and a fictitious minimum standard of living which includes such ludicrous things such as computers, mobiles, car, luxury foods, digital television and computer games has been created. Everyone thinks they must have X as a bare minimum and if they cant afford it, the state should pay.

Time to stop this madness. Benefits were supposed to be for those in GENUINE NEED. Low income is NOT poverty.

Stop the handouts and just watch how many working people suddenly realise that they CAN afford to live on the wage they earn. You know, just like everyone seemed to be able to do perfectly well before this failed idea came along.

Edited by ECCOnoob

We could easily afford a dole of about £200 a week and have a minimum wage of £10 an hour in this country.

You've clearly not run a business before.

Imagine people on £10 per hour and no zero hour contracts. Those who are truly bad at their jobs and lazy will be hard to get rid of.

That is the beauty of zero hour contracts for the young. Those who are good at their jobs get more hours, those who are bad hardly get anyone. The young learn to be good at their jobs.

I think the young have always had the same work ethic - some will and some are not so bothered and that won't ever change so why worry about it?

I agree, maybe the difference was in the past it was a lot more easier to get a job, and because there was a lot of job opportunities around it was easier to swing the lead in those jobs.

Nowadays, there is a lot more competition for jobs, so the "not so hard workers" get found out.

You've clearly not run a business before.

Imagine people on £10 per hour and no zero hour contracts. Those who are truly bad at their jobs and lazy will be hard to get rid of.

That is the beauty of zero hour contracts for the young. Those who are good at their jobs get more hours, those who are bad hardly get anyone. The young learn to be good at their jobs.

There is no beauty about zero hours contracts. At the end of the day, whether you're good at your job or not, if the works not there, you don't get paid. Zero hours contracts should be illegal.

There's cheap accommodation in Page Hall. And I can do a weeks shop in Lidl for under £10.

I agree, maybe the difference was in the past it was a lot more easier to get a job, and because there was a lot of job opportunities around it was easier to swing the lead in those jobs.

Nowadays, there is a lot more competition for jobs, so the "not so hard workers" get found out.

And then what - sack them for being rubbish? Good luck with that!