Work ethics and todays youth

Zero hours contracts should be illegal.

I have a better chance of getting an answer from you Bonzo. Maybe you can answer this:

Also both parties need to come together and make zero hour contracts illegal.

What do you think the minimum number of hours should be? (if you answer nothing else in my post, I'd like to hear your take on these questions)

how would people be able to do jobs like cleaners etc., you said earlier, they could do a few jobs... that's not an answer. Some cleaning [type] jobs suit people perfectly. Even if they did a few jobs, would you have say 4 companies offering 4 hours contracts to make up 16? :huh: That sounds incredibly complex. In fact completely impractical.

Or anyone care to answer how it would work?

Why not have a contract that guarantees a minimum set of hours a week, even if it was only 4 hours. I just personally couldn't imagine working, not knowing when I will be next working.

If the government made legal contracts should start at 4 hours a week, how do you think the opposition would react?

At best I think companies would only offer minimum wage for 4 hours, why tie themselves down to the regular wage (for new starters) if the work isn't regular work. I think companies would just pass this on to work agencies personally.

How you it work Bonzo if zero-hours contract were illegal?

I have a better chance of getting an answer from you Bonzo. Maybe you can answer this:

How you it work Bonzo if zero-hours contract were illegal?

Maybe, if you work a number of hours over a set period of time, those hours then become your contracted hours?

Maybe, if you work a number of hours over a set period of time, those hours then become your contracted hours?

Our line of work is seasonal. If I took the workload of February to May we could offer maybe 15 hour week contracts tops. December we could easily offer a 60 hour contract.

Our line of work is seasonal. If I took the workload of February to May we could offer maybe 15 hour week contracts tops. December we could easily offer a 60 hour contract.

That's why it would be important to get the set period of time right.

Then go back to school and get some qualifications and a better job.

People have 11 years of free education in this country. They prat about then moan they have no money.

Who will do the jobs if everyone in the UK is over qualified? Oh, wait a minute.....immigrants!

You don't live in the real world at all do you? Not everyone wants to forward their career and study to further themselves. Some people just want stability. That should be provided no matter what job you do.

That's why it would be important to get the set period of time right.

I honestly don't think we could - it's not just us our industry is hugely variable and relies heavily on temporary, casual and zero hour contract staff, and that's the bigger players as well as the smaller ones.

---------- Post added 01-03-2015 at 16:15 ----------

Who will do the jobs if everyone in the UK is over qualified? Oh, wait a minute.....immigrants!

You don't live in the real world at all do you? Not everyone wants to forward their career and study to further themselves. Some people just want stability. That should be provided no matter what job you do.

Impossible.

You're talking rubbish.

On min wage you can't buy a house, rent a house, afford travel, food, costs, dental, clothes etc etc. it's all not possible without subsidies or borrowing

You're quite right. It might not be possible to BUY a house on min wage. Don't buy a house then. That's something people usually save up for and do later in their career when they have moved up the ladder a bit.

As for the other things you mention YOU are the one talking rubbish. Its perfectly possible to rent and buy the basics to live on minimum wage. I don't doubt for a second that is not easy and certainly a lifestyle will be limited BUT its still possible and still done by plenty of people up and down the country.

An average couple both working min wage jobs full time bring in around £1900 a month. That's after tax and without any sort of top up benefit at all. Have 1 child and that increases by around £100 a month from child benefits.

You are really going to tell me that they cannot find somewhere to live and buy their basic goods on that amount?

Perfectly reasonable as a entry level of pay for an low skilled low qualified position.

Edited by ECCOnoob

You're quite right. It might not be possible to BUY a house on min wage. Don't buy a house then. That's something people usually save up for and do later in their career when they have moved up the ladder a bit.

As for the other things you mention YOU are the one talking rubbish. Its perfectly possible to rent and buy the basics to live on minimum wage. I don't doubt for a second that is not easy and certainly a lifestyle will be limited BUT its still possible and still done by plenty of people up and down the country.

An average couple both working min wage jobs full time bring in around £1900 a month. That's after tax and without any sort of top up benefit at all. Have 1 child and that increases by around £100 a month from child benefits.

You are really going to tell me that they cannot find somewhere to live and buy their basic goods on that amount?

Perfectly reasonable as a entry level of pay for an low skilled low qualified position.

You just said get rid of tax credits? now you're saying top up with means tested child benefit? :loopy:

What about a single person not a couple? if single people cant afford housing or even shared accommodation the private property market would tank.:loopy:

Its only do-able because the state subsidises low wages so what would be the point of getting rid of subsidies? no incentive to work if benefits pays more than working. Everyone on NMW would leave their jobs that don't pay enough and live on the dole and claim housing.:loopy: but then under your plan we wouldnt even have dole and housing:loopy:

I honestly don't think we could - it's not just us our industry is hugely variable and relies heavily on temporary, casual and zero hour contract staff, and that's the bigger players as well as the smaller ones.

---------- Post added 01-03-2015 at 16:15 ----------

Impossible.

No it's not. What about 6 month contracts for seasonal work? It's very possible to give employees guaranteed hours.

No it's not. What about 6 month contracts for seasonal work? It's very possible to give employees guaranteed hours.

Impossible for an awful lot of companies. If memory serves, you're in/was in a band right? Can you guarentee that you could pay a drummer for example for regular hours/gigs for the next 6 months?