Work ethics and todays youth

It's never occurred or crossed my mind that ANY job is permanent.

In fact I only know the basics on my current contract, I see it as a worthless piece of nonsense written by companies who my employer pays to write up. It doesn't bother me, it never has. I just do what I'm paid to do, and I try to do the best I can for the people paying my wage.

I've only disgraced myself once by quitting a job with no notice, and it was awful. I won't name them as they are based in Sheffield. I absolutely hated it, yet others found it a good place to work, so it must have been personal preference in that one occasion Anna.

That's pretty much what I think I'm on. So what? I do a good job, I'm never late for work, and had one sick day in 10 years or so. I was one of the best people in Sheffield at my job (was!, I've got a new position now, but use this knowledge to try and train others). That's my current 'security', but times change. Machines/robots/technology do many of the jobs I had in the past. Computer programmes are constantly being written and updated that try and push out my job. I can't stop that. I've accepted it.

Here I think we disagree Anna. Employers (private) and bosses (public) want good staff. That makes sense.

I'll answer this in PM and though we disagree on many things, I won't mention companies on the forum main pages, and I trust you to respect this :)

---------- Post added 05-03-2015 at 02:10 ----------

If I ran a business, I wouldn't employ you.

Got your PM ash, did you get my reply?

I'm afraid I cocked it up 'cos my message box was full or something, so not sure if it went.

Anyway, just wanted to say thankyou so much for taking the trouble to reply, and that you've made your point very well.:)

Got your PM ash, did you get my reply?

I'm afraid I cocked it up 'cos my message box was full or something, so not sure if it went.

Anyway, just wanted to say thankyou so much for taking the trouble to reply, and that you've made your point very well.:)

I didn't get the reply no Anna, but this PM system is a bit crap, (and a bit tight :hihi:). Clear some off and send it again.

I reply to everything that quotes me, because it annoys me when people don't me.

Does it occur to you that permanent jobs might also become a thing of the past?

There's nothing that I can see to stop an employer sacking someone before the two year deadline and then making him apply for his job again, (in fact I'm sure I've heard of that happening on this forum.) That way the employer has no difficulty with tribunals etc. It's not always to do with the quality of the labour.

I admit in skilled jobs that require a lot of training and experience, that's less likely to happen, but much of the abuse is at the lower end of the jobs market where they seem to take the brunt of every ****ty trick going.

What sort of jobs do you do?

I work in events, an industry which since it came to be relies massively on temporary, zc and self employed workers. It will be forever thus. We don't take staff on - we manage without and to be honest the whole messing people about with massively varying work requirements means I'll get a high turnover of mediocre (at best) staff. Not only that, I'm then trusting said mediocre staff with contracts that could they could screw up. The option would be to pay someone a belting wage where they would be sat scratching their arse for weeks at a time - but would be more dedicated when it was busy.

Well in theory. They could equally chuck a sickie when I really really need them not to and I'm screwed just the same. Do I take two on just in case? Too much of a headache.

Yep as are 99.999999r%% of people on internet, are you part of that fraction? I think so!

You'll find that quite a few people try to use evidence to support their opinions.

And that actually many people do know some younger people. :roll:

• 3 weeks later...
It's never occurred or crossed my mind that ANY job is permanent.

In fact I only know the basics on my current contract, I see it as a worthless piece of nonsense written by companies who my employer pays to write up. It doesn't bother me, it never has. I just do what I'm paid to do, and I try to do the best I can for the people paying my wage.

I've only disgraced myself once by quitting a job with no notice, and it was awful. I won't name them as they are based in Sheffield. I absolutely hated it, yet others found it a good place to work, so it must have been personal preference in that one occasion Anna.

That's pretty much what I think I'm on. So what? I do a good job, I'm never late for work, and had one sick day in 10 years or so. I was one of the best people in Sheffield at my job (was!, I've got a new position now, but use this knowledge to try and train others). That's my current 'security', but times change. Machines/robots/technology do many of the jobs I had in the past. Computer programmes are constantly being written and updated that try and push out my job. I can't stop that. I've accepted it.

Here I think we disagree Anna. Employers (private) and bosses (public) want good staff. That makes sense.

I'll answer this in PM and though we disagree on many things, I won't mention companies on the forum main pages, and I trust you to respect this :)

---------- Post added 05-03-2015 at 02:10 ----------

If I ran a business, I wouldn't employ you.

2 Points, 1. That's why you don't/can't run a business. 2. Who ON Earth WOULD work for you?

2 Points, 1. That's why you don't/can't run a business. 2. Who ON Earth WOULD work for you?

1 point to your 2 points - they're both strawman logic. I never alluded to either. I've spoken about the exact opposite - who I work/ed for.

-

As it happens, I've never tried to, nor wished to run a business really. Nor have I ever cared for any senior position when working for others. I have been offered the latter many times in my life, but it doesn't interest me. I won't ever do a job for someone else where I have to lay someone else off, (even if it is justified)... and if I ever start a business, I will say straight up that I can't guarantee constant work.

We don't agree on things, but that's the way I am.

:)