Railway line and tunnel

smithy266

When I was an apprentice with British Rail, I worked with fitters and electricians who worked at 'Wicker Goods'. I was told the tunnel was for moving goods wagons from 'Wicker Goods' up to Bridgehouses, and a winch being used rather than a locomotive?

Passengers never went in the spital tunnel. It was only used for exchanging carriages between the midland station at the wicker and Bridgehouses station.

Its main use was really before the wicker arches were completed as for a few years bridgehouses station was a dead end.

Accounts state that that the tunnel was steep and dangerous so I imagine that it was only used with single carriages rather than full trains.

After the Wicker arches were complete, it would probably have been quicker and safer to move a whole train by looping around the main lines and sidings rather than splitting it up and moving the carriages in sections through the tunnel.

There not my accounts there writen as theories from History, as I said maybe the latter....

Closure of that tunnel was an example of how the city has lost various rail connections over the years. Surely some use could have been made as a local commuter connection !

The old Sheffield District line from Tinsley to Brightside had various bridges removed and of course all those suburban stations once in use could have been reopened.

Never been able to get my head round the transport policies of the various governments we have had.

Closure of that tunnel was an example of how the city has lost various rail connections over the years. Surely some use could have been made as a local commuter connection !

The old Sheffield District line from Tinsley to Brightside had various bridges removed and of course all those suburban stations once in use could have been reopened.

Never been able to get my head round the transport policies of the various governments we have had.

The tunnel was only ever used for freight traffic.

Most of the local Sheffield stations did not serve populated areas and those that did served areas being demolished with no replacement.

The main stations were badly sited.

Very few were served by regular services.

Most were closed or had very limited services even before Beeching.

These lines were never made money out of passenger services.

The trams were far better placed to provide transport until the advent of the out of town services and the primacy of the motor car.

The tunnel was only ever used for freight traffic.

Most of the local Sheffield stations did not serve populated areas and those that did served areas being demolished with no replacement.

The main stations were badly sited.

Very few were served by regular services.

Most were closed or had very limited services even before Beeching.

These lines were never made money out of passenger services.

The trams were far better placed to provide transport until the advent of the out of town services and the primacy of the motor car.

With respect your knowledge Annie Bynnol, the main stations might possibly have been badly sited, that could be solved with regular buses passing by ! Transport requires government subsidy, yes I know I am talking out of my rear saying that.

Can we make an attempt to avoid complete dependence on the infernal internal combustion engine.

The world needs changing, we can hope !!!!

With respect your knowledge Annie Bynnol, the main stations might possibly have been badly sited, that could be solved with regular buses passing by ! Transport requires government subsidy, yes I know I am talking out of my rear saying that.

Can we make an attempt to avoid complete dependence on the infernal internal combustion engine.

The world needs changing, we can hope !!!!

Totally agree.

However the vast majority of the billions of pounds of public money a year is spent on the non-competitive nationalized transport system of London and its commuter zone. This has not changed since 1968.

When any form of transport initiative is proposed the car and southern interest groups and their ad dependant friendly press mount misinformation campaigns.

The result-We have "pacers" and second hand electric trains-they have Crossrail 1 and 2, Overground, Thameslink...

Whoever you vote for, whoever wins find out their transport policy was in their manifesto and hold them to account when they are in power.