Passenger stamps on Sheffield bus driver’s head.

I'm aware this is one of those "hang em, flog em, whatever is this country coming to" threads where all we are meant to compete with each other to see who can suggest the most extreme punishment without bothering to check the facts of the case or read the judge's carefully considered deliberations.

Presumably that's why the opening post doesn't mention that the guy does have mental health issues and that a letter from his mental health nurse was a factor in the suspending of the sentence.

The nurse will be trying to address the mental health problems that are the cause of his behaviour. Their professional opinion may be that society will be best served by continuing their work - not by merely addressing the symptoms of the problem by sending him to prison.

Of course "hang em, flog em" means we don't have to bother thinking about all that. Our desire for punishment is more important than finding the best solution long term.

---------- Post added 24-02-2015 at 14:41 ----------

He probably pleaded drug misuse and alcohol dependency.

You have confused "probably" with something that you have just made up without bothering to acquaint yourself with the facts. Hang em! Flog em!

I'm aware this is one of those "hang em, flog em, whatever is this country coming to" threads where all we are meant to compete with each other to see who can suggest the most extreme punishment without bothering to check the facts of the case or read the judge's carefully considered deliberations.

Presumably that's why the opening post doesn't mention that the guy does have mental health issues and that a letter from his mental health nurse was a factor in the suspending of the sentence.

The nurse will be trying to address the mental health problems that are the cause of his behaviour. Their professional opinion may be that society will be best served by continuing their work - not by merely addressing the symptoms of the problem by sending him to prison.

Of course "hang em, flog em" means we don't have to bother thinking about all that. Our desire for punishment is more important than finding the best solution long term.

You have confused "probably" with something that you have just made up without bothering to acquaint yourself with the facts. Hang em! Flog em!

So I was closest with the drug misuse and alcohol sob story!

Regardless of mental health... a slap on the wrist is no justice for the victim of such a violent crime.

Prison sentence is probably not the best option for everyone I agree, but maybe a long stint on community service might serve as a reminder of his actions. not only that, a bit of fresh air might be good for the mental health.

So I was closest with the drug misuse and alcohol sob story!

Are you really conflating mental health problems with drug misuse?

He has a suspended prison sentence. A community service order is a lesser punishment that would send the people here even more nuts with rage.

you are absolutely right! I can't be bothered to acquaint myself with his state of mental health and his excuses!

It's people like you, who give people like him power to use excuses for such terrible crimes.

---------- Post added 24-02-2015 at 14:47 ----------

Are you really conflating mental health problems with drug misuse?

it quite often goes hand in hand.

Firstly the poster assumed it was alcohol or drugs as a lot of these cases get pathetic sentences because they have those problems. Take the women who broke into lockers there is a thread on here before.

As for mental health issues why should this be an excuse. I have struggled with depression my whole life I am free to admit it now yet I dont have a criminal record as do many other people who suffer. So why should it be used as a get out of jail free card. Having a disability and mental illness is such should not exempt you from criminal charges. I wouldnt see people saying a person in a wheelchair should get let off becuase he or she is disabled. The same goes for someone with mental health problems.

It's people like you, who give people like him power to use excuses for such terrible crimes.

I know! Isn't it terrible that some folk take the trouble to trouble to consider the opinions of the medical professional and would prefer that we find the best solution for society long-term.

Much better to do something ineffective that satisfies our desire to punish.

BTW, I fail to see where you are going with your comments about drug misuse. There's no suggestion of such in the article linked from the OP.

---------- Post added 24-02-2015 at 14:56 ----------

As for mental health issues why should this be an excuse. Having a disability and mental illness is such should not exempt you from criminal charges.

You're confusing "excuse" with "mitigation".

There is no exemption from criminal charges. The charges were laid, the defendant found guilty, the judge accepted the mitigation and handed down the punishment they considered to be most appropriate.

I would not be so arrogant as to claim I know better than the judge. I haven't even read their deliberations. Have you?

Edited by Flexo

I know! Isn't it terrible that some folk take the trouble to trouble to consider the professional opinions of the medical professional and would prefer that we find the best solution for society long-term.

BTW, I fail to see where you are going with your comments about drug misuse. There's no suggestion of such in the article linked from the OP.

There is no exemption from criminal charges. The charges were laid, the defendant found guilty, the judge accepted the mitigation and handed down the punishment they considered to be most appropriate.

I would not be so arrogant as to claim I know better than the judge. I haven't even read their deliberations. Have you?

It is all said in the post above your last one...

I made an 'assumption' that held no weight that it was probably a misuse of drugs or alcohol because a lot of people are 'let off' because of this.

It wasn't a direct THAT IS THE REASON AND THAT'S THAT.

Firstly the poster assumed it was alcohol or drugs

Aye, that's the game here, isn't it? Make wild assumptions then suggest ever more extreme punishments, together with decrying the state of society.

Nice and easy.

Who needs to think.

Thats no excuse. This thug has a string of violent offences. You cant use his issues as an excuse for his violence.

I know! Isn't it terrible that some folk take the trouble to trouble to consider the opinions of the medical professional and would prefer that we find the best solution for society long-term.

With the guy's record it won't be long before he sets about someone who will give him a good hiding...looks like he needs to be put somewhere for his own safety if not anyone else's.