Passenger stamps on Sheffield bus driver’s head.

In contrast to this story, a chap I know was beaten black n blue for no reason whatsoever. The guy who did it got 3 n half years for it last week. (Scotland)

Why is the case you mention 'in contrast' to the one in the OP?

The guy who only got 31/2 years got off far too light as well. I'd have said the cases were similar.

The headline in the paper (Star 24th Feb) focused on the fact that the man had not been jailed, so presumably felt that he should have been. I don’t know if jail is the place for someone like this, but I feel he should be detained and treated, and not released to be amongst the public until it is safe.

The man thumped and stamped on the head of a Sheffield bus driver leaving him with nerve damage in his neck.

The attacker was already the subject of a community order for attacking a neighbour who had complained that he made too much noise. He had 9 previous convictions for 13 offences including affray, wounding, and ABH to a detention officer.

One wonders just what has to be done to result in a custodial sentence?

Is jail the place for someone like this? Maybe not, but at the very least a secure facility where treatment to cure(?) these violent tendancies can be given.

There may well be an underlaying problem which accounts for this violence but the public at general needs to be protected before his next victim becomes a corpse. Then we will be reading the (so called) experts stating, once again, 'we must learn from this tragedy'.

The time to learn is now before someone else is hurt, possibly fatally, by this person.

One wonders just what has to be done to result in a custodial sentence?

Is jail the place for someone like this? Maybe not, but at the very least a secure facility where treatment to cure(?) these violent tendancies can be given.

There may well be an underlaying problem which accounts for this violence but the public at general needs to be protected before his next victim becomes a corpse. Then we will be reading the (so called) experts stating, once again, 'we must learn from this tragedy'.

The time to learn is now before someone else is hurt, possibly fatally, by this person.

Agreed . Im astounded that he wasnt at least locked up in a mental unit for the safety of the public.

When this thug attacks someone else ( and its odds on he will when you look at his history of violent offences ) , i hope this judge hangs his head in shame and resigns.

Mob mentality is the most stupid form of group idiocy I've ever seen. Are you people seriously under the delusion that the judicial system has been built overnight?

There has been a long, and hard struggle to get our laws to be as fair as they are and whilst they're far from perfect, they're constantly changing, depending on the complexities new cases bring. Sadly people are not satisfied with proportionate justice.

People like the belligerent aggression seekers in this thread are those exacting individuals who buy into the Daily Mail mentality of Sensational, Media-created policy. The Law is the law, if you break it, you will be punished in accordance with it. If you're easily angered by these things without the understanding as to why these conclusions are reached, then do yourself (and society) a favour by becoming informed and not just an angry person. Your own anger used as a tool to your undoing through tacit complicity.

There used to be signs on buses saying that the maximum sentence for assault on a bus driver was life imprisonment. We've certainly come a long way since then. Unbelievable. I am sure if judges regularly used public transport we might see rather more appropriate sentences.

No there didn't.

Mob mentality is the most stupid form of group idiocy I've ever seen. Are you people seriously under the delusion that the judicial system has been built overnight?

There has been a long, and hard struggle to get our laws to be as fair as they are and whilst they're far from perfect, they're constantly changing, depending on the complexities new cases bring. Sadly people are not satisfied with proportionate justice.

People like the belligerent aggression seekers in this thread are those exacting individuals who buy into the Daily Mail mentality of Sensational, Media-created policy. The Law is the law, if you break it, you will be punished in accordance with it. If you're easily angered by these things without the understanding as to why these conclusions are reached, then do yourself (and society) a favour by becoming informed and not just an angry person. Your own anger used as a tool to your undoing through tacit complicity.

OK lets look at an evidenced based argument then. Why do people chose not to put their hands in a naked flame. Answer because they have learnt it will hurt a great deal. Why do I not have a criminal record. Answer because my parents brought me up properly if I did something wrong I would get a slap for it.

So solution give this scumbag a good pasting. It will save prison he will then learn not to do it again and protect future innocent bus drivers from being attacked. Oh sorry we cant do that because of the Human Rights Act that protects criminals and wrongdoers and ignores the victims. How would you like it if your father was the bus driver eh or do you prefer to protect criminals rather than solve the problem. Giving this guy a good pasting will solve it easy. He will associate the pain with doing something wrong and not do it again. Or is my evidence totally false.