Car water pump advice needed please?

Hi I have a 2005 Renault Megane (petrol) car.

It's due to have a repair done on the de-phaser pulley which requires the engine be stripped down.

I thought while It was being done Id get the water pump replaced. Do I just need to buy a new water pump or do I need to buy a gasket with it too? And do I need to buy a new thermostat too?

I want to spend as little as possible but Im willing to replace the aforementioned parts if it's recommended.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks for looking

Hi I have a 2005 Renault Megane (petrol) car.

It's due to have a repair done on the de-phaser pulley which requires the engine be stripped down.

I thought while It was being done Id get the water pump replaced. Do I just need to buy a new water pump or do I need to buy a gasket with it too? And do I need to buy a new thermostat too?

I want to spend as little as possible but Im willing to replace the aforementioned parts if it's recommended.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks for looking

Deff good idea to change the water pump which should come with a new gasket ,also while engine is stripped put a new timing belt kit on as well .dont bother about changing thermostat if old one is working ok

Just my opinion, if you are going ahead with the work decribed inc water pump, it makes sense to replace the gasket. If the thermostat on your vehicle is accesable later on without stripping/removing other items I would leave it, unless it is causing problems now. Note: Thermostats usually come with the gasket in my exp. I`m surprsed if the water pumps don`t.

EDIT: I agree with Rudds re timing belt, unless it has been changed recently/not many miles ago. (Lot of damage can be caused when one of them snaps. (I`m assuming your vehicle is belt not chain).

Edited by Janus

Thanks to you both for your advice. Yes it's a timing belt not chain.The dealer is changing the belt and the de phaser pulley. I'm going to change the pump and will wait to see if the thermostat is accessible at a later date,otherwise I'll get that done too.

Thanks to you both for your advice. Yes it's a timing belt not chain.The dealer is changing the belt and the de phaser pulley. I'm going to change the pump and will wait to see if the thermostat is accessible at a later date,otherwise I'll get that done too.

If you supply the pump the dealer will fit it for you so you don't have to buy one of theirs which will save you a few quid ,you will have to either supply or buy off them some anti freeze though

Will the dealer fit a non-genuine part tho??

Might be worth getting the dealer to do the whole thing.

Usually the water pump is driven off the cam-belt anyway, so you're going to have to strip the engine down to replace the water pump.

Will the dealer fit a non-genuine part tho??

Might be worth getting the dealer to do the whole thing.

Usually the water pump is driven off the cam-belt anyway, so you're going to have to strip the engine down to replace the water pump.

i once took a part I has bought to evens halshaw and they fitted it for me but that was when they were on ecclesall road

If you supply the pump the dealer will fit it for you so you don't have to buy one of theirs which will save you a few quid ,you will have to either supply or buy off them some anti freeze though

So if it fails early doors I suspect you'd have to pay for the labour again? Whereas if they'd supplied the part then maybe you wouldn't..