How do they Re - develop an area?

Hi I was just wondering how this happens take Attercliffe for example I think in the 60's could be wrong some streets/houses were demolished to re-develop the area how did they do this what I am wondering is would they have bought the houses off people or what?

Sorry I'm just confused about this ...

Thanks Jack

Most of the residential streets around attercliffe, carbrook and brightside were demolished in the early 1970s. (1972/3/4, mostly).

Those residents fortunate enough to own their own properties would have found their properties subject to a compulsory purchase order. The property would have been valued by a surveyor from the council, and the owner would have recieved some form of payment as compensation for the property, (I'm not totally certain whether the owner would have recieved full value for the property, or, whether, like what happened with my aunt,'s house, when our street was "cleared", the value of the land the house stood on was paid.

The council and the powers that be let an area decline to the point that few if anybody wants to live there. Then comes the Compulsery purchase orders for owners to sell. It is then sold off cheap to some big corporation which then "Redevelop" it and make lots and lots of money, along with the dirty council members who started the whole thing in the first place. Hypothetically of course.

Ahh I see I was just wondering thank you :)

Another question I have is say you bought a house in the area of attercliffe that was to be redeveloped back then in the 60\70s would you have been told it was to be? How long would they have given you?

Thanks!

The council and the powers that be let an area decline to the point that few if anybody wants to live there. Then comes the Compulsery purchase orders for owners to sell. It is then sold off cheap to some big corporation which then "Redevelop" it and make lots and lots of money, along with the dirty council members who started the whole thing in the first place. Hypothetically of course.

Might be hypothetical Liza but it looks VERY familiar.

Though to be fair there was a lot of housing in attercliffe that needed to come down. Many had lost a bedroom to provide a bathroom so there were very few with more than 2 bedrooms and as most people used their backdoors (kitchen door) many had to walk through each others backyards to gain access so not much privacy and the houses being built when they were had very poor if any insulation.

Ahh I see I was just wondering thank you :)

Another question I have is say you bought a house in the area of attercliffe that was to be redeveloped back then in the 60\70s would you have been told it was to be? How long would they have given you?

Thanks!

Of course they would tell you. They wouldnt just buy/ compulsorily purchase the property without informing you.

When i was 9, in 1974, my parents moved us to highfields, off london road. The houses were subject to a Compulsory Purchase Order, as they were considered "slums" because there were no bathrooms in most properties on our street. We lived there till 1979. We were rehoused by the council.

For example many HS2 areas will be re-developed. Once there are new transport links, luxury flats and shopping malls appear and an area becomes re-gentrified as house prices increase.

Maybe they will put HS2 near Page Hall.

I rather think that you haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about, and certainly had no experience of Attercliffe pre-1970.

The majority of properties were privately-rented, owner-occupation came next, with very few council-owned properties. After the courtyards (one-up, one-down looking out into a common courtyard), the vast majority were 2-up, 2-down with some having an 6'x8' off-shot kitchen and no bathroom, but an outside toilet. They were very damp and cold (mainly solid walls) and not capable of improvement at any reasonable cost. The air quality was dreadful, and it is only in the last few years that it has become possible to think about building new homes in parts of the area.

Get real.