How do we tackle crime?

The best way to tackle crime?

A fairer society. Education. Legalising drugs.

---------- Post added 03-03-2015 at 17:11 ----------

If the 'scamera' wasn't a deterrent, people would not bother to slow down. So it is a deterrent, however temporary it may be.

I'm not so sure that there is a real fear of punishment amongst culprits for low-level (but, in aggregate terms, highly-disruptive and expensive) crime like burglaries, car thefts <etc.> There's been so many studies and documentaries showing small sentences (and the 'bag-emptying fessing up session' that precedes it) associated with these crimes as a rite of passage and badge of honour of sorts, conducive of bigger/badder things at a later time.

I believe the forms of punishment are too rigid (prison term, suspended or not, shorter to longer depending on a quasi 'set' tariff) and Judges/juries should be given more 'variety' as to what to consider an appropriate form of punishment for a given set of crime/conviction. Notably, in these days of "it's all 'bout respect innit" I think 'shaming' sentences should be dusted off (like a period of pillory on the town's square used to).

Is there any evidence that returning to the middle ages would reduce crime?

I strongly suggest not. I don't believe humiliating people is a good way to get them to change their behaviour.