Right into the Eurosceptics hands regarding smacking

I'm a firm supporter of the EU. I think we should be coming together as countries. However I despair when I read about this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31727515

So the EU says we cannot smack children if they do wrong. Is this more leftwing interference again in how parents look after their offspring. Is there no depth that the left go into interfering with peoples daily lives?

You can smack them, just not hard enough to leave a mark (The Children Act 2004). That aside, if you think violence is the way to discipline children then I don't think you're particularly suited to parenthood.

jb

I'm not a parent as it happens I just cannot understand the who ha about smacking as I was smacked when I was a kid. My OH was too as was many people and we have never been in trouble with the law and always been in work. I think parenting should be left to the parent, Some parents chose the naughty step others choose smacking. You even look at the animal kingdom its used by the parents to control their young.

I just get fed up with the amount of government interference in daily lives.

Surely this can be looked at 2 ways.

1) A child is a person therefore striking them is assault that same as if you hit an adult.

2) A child doesn't respond to danger in the same way as an adult and on occasion hitting them to re-enforce the danger to them is acceptable.

I have no idea on which side of this argument I fully stand, and probably won't until I have kids of my own.

Surely this can be looked at 2 ways.

1) A child is a person therefore striking them is assault that same as if you hit an adult.

2) A child doesn't respond to danger in the same way as an adult and on occasion hitting them to re-enforce the danger to them is acceptable.

I have no idea on which side of this argument I fully stand, and probably won't until I have kids of my own.

Exactly there is two sides to the argument and you wont know till your a parent. Spot on. There is no manual for parenting. So why should government dictate how parents parent for want of a better word.

I'm not a parent as it happens I just cannot understand the who ha about smacking as I was smacked when I was a kid. My OH was too as was many people and we have never been in trouble with the law and always been in work. I think parenting should be left to the parent, Some parents chose the naughty step others choose smacking. You even look at the animal kingdom its used by the parents to control their young.

I, too, was smacked. It didn't work. Other kids get hit with a belt, or a cane, or a cricket bat. Some get punched in the face, some get shaken so hard they suffer brain damage. Where do you think the line should be drawn?

jb

I don't think anyone who hits a child thinks.."you'll never get a job and will always be in trouble with the police". They hit because they don't have the ability to communicate or are to lazy to communicate or how to, which as BC states, you're probably not fit as a parent. It's a standard response from those who've been hit as an infant...did me no harm, I never went to prison.

Exactly there is two sides to the argument and you wont know till your a parent. Spot on. There is no manual for parenting. So why should government dictate how parents parent for want of a better word.

Because some parents are idiots who think beating their kids up is the way to instil discipline. Do you think adults should also be beaten to teach them right from wrong or to teach them a 'valuable' lessen?

Not covered your mouth when coughing? That'll be a punch in the face.

Not indicated when leaving a roundabout? That'll be a good kicking.

Not minded you Ps and Qs? That'll be 10 of the best with daddy's little friend, My Batty.

jb

So the EU says we cannot smack children if they do wrong. Is this more leftwing interference again in how parents look after their offspring. Is there no depth that the left go into interfering with peoples daily lives?
I've read the same article as you, and it says that it is Approach, a British charity, which has complained to the EU that France and 6 other EU countries have not done enough (in statutory terms) to ban smacking, and that the Council for Europe agrees.

So...why did you leave the British charity Approach out of your rant? :huh:

And why is a British charity (presumably concerned with British-residing kids) complaining about France and other EU countries? :huh:

Edited by L00b