Whats the problem with speed cameras

I am genuinely confused. When ever motoring or traffic gets mentioned speed cameras come up.

You then have a group of motorists (presumably ones who dont follow the speed limit) saying these are a cash cow and a tax. So much so that the government backs down and limits their use tells councils to make them more visible but why. Is it not people who breaking the law dictating how it should be run.

Why do motorists have a huge problem with them?

I was only wondering this earlier after reading an article in the Express about some 'stealth' speed cameras, and stating that "driving is now a criminal activity"...

I drive at the speed limit, and have no problem doing so. I have never once been 'offended' by speed cameras like a lot of people seem to be.

Driving at any speed can kill, but exceeding speed limits makes things more dangerous for everybody. Why are measures that prevent this not seen as a good thing? It baffles me.

But of course safety doesn't enter most people's heads. It's just 'war against the motorist.'

I am genuinely confused. When ever motoring or traffic gets mentioned speed cameras come up.

You then have a group of motorists (presumably ones who dont follow the speed limit) saying these are a cash cow and a tax. So much so that the government backs down and limits their use tells councils to make them more visible but why. Is it not people who breaking the law dictating how it should be run.

If they were used for safety then I don't think most people would complain.

But they are marketed as a safety thing, whilst then being placed on roads that are already safe, the clear purpose being to generate the maximum level of fines.

It's duplicitous, and people don't like being lied to.

Because blind adherence to the speed limit does not make you a better driver. Driving to the conditions is what is important.

jb

So surely the motorists should be arguing that the law on speed needs changing not removal of cameras. As while the speeding laws are there they need enforcing.

Because blind adherence to the speed limit does not make you a better driver. Driving to the conditions is what is important.

jb

You aren't one of these drivers who thinks "ooh, there's nobody in front of me in this residential 30 zone, I'll do 50 down here..." are you?

Genuine question, because quite a lot of people do seem to do that.

Edited by Locksley

So surely the motorists should be arguing that the law on speed needs changing not removal of cameras. As while the speeding laws are there they need enforcing.

No, what needs enforcing is prosecutions for dangerous driving. This, however, is expensive as it requires an active Police presence on the roads, cameras are cheap in comparison. What they do not do though is catch the driver doing 40mph (in a 40 zone) where the conditions dictate they should be doing 10mph.

jb

No, what needs enforcing is prosecutions for dangerous driving. This, however, is expensive as it requires an active Police presence on the roads, cameras are cheap in comparison. What they do not do though is catch the driver doing 40mph (in a 40 zone) where the conditions dictate they should be doing 10mph.

jb

I agree, although what would you say constituted doing 10mph in a 40 zone? Aside from obviously ice and snow.

I have to dip my toe some time so here goes.

I have a problem with the morality of them. Not the actual device but the excuses peddled out for them. Road safety and cutting down on accidents are the favourites but if that was the case then more practical measures would be taken to calm roads and slow cars. More education wuld be offered when caught speeding. Points and fines would'nt always be applied as if its as we are being led to believe and its all about the safety then why the need to screw the road user for cash at every opportunity. Fines solve very little but educating people is the key.

---------- Post added 04-03-2015 at 12:01 ----------

I would like to make an addition to that post. i have never been fined or stopped for speeding. I have a clean license and i plan to keep it that way.

Like most laws in this country, the enforcement needs to be proportional.