Whats the problem with speed cameras

How is it not if it's raining hard, or icy?

So you genuinely think that everytime it rains or an ice warning has been issued you should drive at 30mph on 50 mph road?

Drivers should have the ability to drive to suit the conditions in both scenarios.

---------- Post added 04-03-2015 at 13:21 ----------

I personally think SPEED cameras are fine however they no longer fall under the category of safety cameras imho. Safety cameras were i think originally to reduce road fatalities and roads with a high rate of accidents,not to catch someone who hasn't slowed from 40 to 30 in the 500 yards between road signs.

So you genuinely think that everytime it rains or an ice warning has been issued you should drive at 30mph on 50 mph road?

Don't be silly, of course not, I mean when it is actually raining or is actually icy.

As in "driving according to the conditions", you didn't say ideal conditions.

Driving at 30mph in a 50mph isn't either.

I say it might be, if it's icy or raining!

Drivers should have the ability to drive to suit the conditions in both scenarios.

Quite, though that is not what you said.

Edited by Magilla

They should, but sadly don't. We've already got a thread about bad driving.

Until driving standards improve we'll never see speed limits increased or cameras abolished.

Instead we see further restrictions on roads like the Snake Pass because of a minority who crash and put the incident figures up.

Don't be silly, of course not, I mean when it is actually raining or is actually icy.

As in "driving according to the conditions".

Which is exactly what driving at 30mph in a 50 zone when it's icy would be!

What about the rest of the time? Which is more often than when there's ice in a calendar year.

---------- Post added 04-03-2015 at 13:30 ----------

http://www.acpo.police.uk/documents/uniformed/2013/201305-uoba-joining-forces-safer-roads.pdf

Have a read of this document, even the police don't think prosecuting a driver who has misread the road signage is appropriate.(very last sentence).

Yet every week a camera van is parked 500 yards after the 30 sign as you enter Maltby which is 500 yards from the end of the 40 zone.

Are you genuinely trying to say that the reason behind motorists ire at speed cameras is because the police wont care of their house gets burgled??

Do they have the same feelings about shop cctv cameras?

People feel they are dis-proportionately punished in comparison to their peers, whom they see as having committed a far greater crime.

What have shop CCTV camera's got to do with anything?

Can they measure speed?

I also feel like this is quite correct as well.

I have a problem with the morality of them. Not the actual device but the excuses peddled out for them. Road safety and cutting down on accidents are the favourites but if that was the case then more practical measures would be taken to calm roads and slow cars. I would like to make an addition to that post. i have never been fined or stopped for speeding.

I have a clean license and i plan to keep it that way.

I too have a clean licence from many years of driving.

Edited by geared

Because they mask a problem and in many ways make it worse.

Which is less safe?

a) driving at 33 in a 30mph zone

b) driving 5m behind the car in front at 70mph

I'd say b without a doubt, yet we concentrate almost solely on speeding on our roads as if this is the only risk factor. The only reason we have speed cameras is because they require minimal resource and are black and white. Were you above the speed limit is a simple yes/no. Were you driving dangerously is much more grey.

So we have speed cameras because they are easy not because they actually make the roads safer.

I honestly believe we should get rid of all speed limits and have a universal 'dangerous/careless driving law'. If the speed you are doing in regarded as unsafe for the road and conditions you are on then you get penalised. Too many people take speed limits to be a target and drive in a ridiculous manner when the conditions don't suit that simply because of the 'limit'. Remove the limit and people will hopefully start to think about appropriate speed. Maybe I'm too naïve.

We should have far greater numbers of traffic police who enforce all the rules of the road.

I was only wondering this earlier after reading an article in the Express about some 'stealth' speed cameras, and stating that "driving is now a criminal activity"...

I drive at the speed limit, and have no problem doing so. I have never once been 'offended' by speed cameras like a lot of people seem to be.

Driving at any speed can kill, but exceeding speed limits makes things more dangerous for everybody. Why are measures that prevent this not seen as a good thing? It baffles me.

But of course safety doesn't enter most people's heads. It's just 'war against the motorist.'

Same here Locksley, and I have said it before. The reply you usually get is along the lines of. Don't tell me you've never broke the speed limit, as if they can't believe it. It,s not easy because you get people pushing you, but I just allow plenty of time.

Well obviously. Was it state the bloody obvious day or something?

Who said every time? Are you not understanding the phrase "Driving to the conditions is what is important. "?