"First Buses do WHAT??"

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-council-to-consider-safety-measures-on-city-centre-streets-after-death-of-woman-1-7135399

Sheffield Council is to look into the possibility of installing a crossing on a city centre road after a pensioner died following a collision with a bus.

Sheila Bowling, aged 74, was struck on Angel Street, in November 2013.

Sheffield Crown Court heard driver David Cameron, 59, of Spring Close Mount, Gleadless Valley, Sheffield, failed to brake or swerve.

He told police officers that bus operator First runs a bonus scheme for drivers who make the smoothest journeys each month.

Dashboard ‘traffic light’ technology records harsh braking and swerving.

Cameron, who was driving at 14mph at the time of the collision, was handed a 12-month community order, 100 hours of unpaid work and a one-year driving ban after admitting causing death by dangerous driving.

Somehow, I think First might just have a different set of priorities from "smooth driving" when the safety of other road users, and of their passengers and drivers.

Edited by InigoMontoya

Well I don't see an issue with having a scheme like that, I have been on plenty of rough bus rides with the drivers breaking harshly all the time, obvious bus drivers shouldn't be knocking over old ladies (or any other pedestrian) in order to try and win it though and if that was in the drivers mind when he knocked her over then he is a fool.

The Judge's summing up: “It may have been possible had he used greater steering to avoid the lady who was in the last two metres of crossing this road. He missed the opportunity to avoid a collision by 0.5 of a second.

“There was a clear error of judgment in that respect.”

Full story

Well I don't see an issue with having a scheme like that, I have been on plenty of rough bus rides with the drivers breaking harshly all the time, obvious bus drivers shouldn't be knocking over old ladies (or any other pedestrian) in order to try and win it though and if that was in the drivers mind when he knocked her over then he is a fool.

I think fool is the understatement of the century to describe this individual.