Points System good or bad?

Absolutely true. Their past record with aboriginals is disgusting and they know it.

They have been trying to put it right, with limited success, but are still left with a problem.

But let's not forget, the early Australians were actually British, with their usual unfounded sense of superiority, lording it over all and sundry...

Yeah because the Aussies are sooooo compassionate to asylum seekers, lovingly turning away rickety boats and putting them in internment camps on islands miles away from austrailia.

Absolutely true. Their past record with aboriginals is disgusting and they know it.

They have been trying to put it right, with limited success, but are still left with a problem.

But let's not forget, the early Australians were actually British, with their usual unfounded sense of superiority, lording it over all and sundry...

I doubt the early English immigrants to Australia Lorded it up! as they was either criminals or their jailers.

---------- Post added 05-03-2015 at 00:30 ----------

Did not the Spanish and Portugese do the same? Oh and the French..

I doubt the early English immigrants to Australia Lorded it up! as they was either criminals or their jailers.

---------- Post added 05-03-2015 at 00:30 ----------

Did not the Spanish and Portugese do the same? Oh and the French..

I think the English are peculiar in that they think the aristocracy and their 'betters' can do no wrong; they aspired to be like them, and copied whatever lead they set. Thus if their betters treated the natives badly, so did everyone else.

At the time the English thought they were the masters of the Universe, and some still do...

Edited by Anna B

I think the English are peculiar in that they think the aristocracy and their 'betters' can do no wrong; they aspire to be like them, and copy whatever lead they set. Thus if their betters treated the natives badly, so did everyone else.

At the time the English thought they were the masters of the Universe, and some still do...

Surely the minority of society! End of History debate anyway. Answer the question and keep your human rights acts/one for all debate to another thread.

Surely the minority of society! End of History debate anyway. Answer the question and keep your human rights acts/one for all debate to another thread.

Fair enough.

I think we are in danger of having a brain drain in this country. A lot of young skilled people seem to be emigrating. Yet the majority of the people coming in seem to be low skilled migrants.

It makes sense to me to ensure that the people coming in match the jobs available, and that can only be acheived with a much closer watch on immigration, not an open door policy.

Fair enough.

I think we are in danger of having a brain drain in this country. A lot of young skilled people seem to be emigrating. Yet the majority of the people coming in seem to be low skilled migrants.

It makes sense to me to ensure that the people coming in match the jobs available, and that can only be acheived with a much closer watch on immigration, not an open door policy.

Hear Hear!!

Fair enough.

The majority that we hear about from the EU may be in low skilled jobs, not necessarily because they have no skills. Some will take any work because even the minimum wage here provides a better living than in some Eastern European countries.

There is no 'open door' policy for non EU migrants, the criteria they have to fulfil now is pretty stringent if they want to come here to work. A points system would probably be based on the same criteria.

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general

Rules also apply to spouses and other family members from non EU countries. Again, those could be converted to points, but the same applicants who meet the criteria now would probably get enough points anyway. There's plenty more info on the UKBA website.

Unless we come out of the EU we will continue to share open borders with most of Europe.

The majority that we hear about from the EU may be in low skilled jobs, not necessarily because they have no skills. Some will take any work because even the minimum wage here provides a better living than in some Eastern European countries.

There is no 'open door' policy for non EU migrants, the criteria they have to fulfil now is pretty stringent if they want to come here to work. A points system would probably be based on the same criteria.

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general

Rules also apply to spouses and other family members from non EU countries. Again, those could be converted to points, but the same applicants who meet the criteria now would probably get enough points anyway. There's plenty more info on the UKBA website.

Unless we come out of the EU we will continue to share open borders with most of Europe.

Problem is if people can get into Europe by fair means or foul, then they can get into England.

Yeah because the Aussies are sooooo compassionate to asylum seekers, lovingly turning away rickety boats and putting them in internment camps on islands miles away from austrailia.

Nowt wrong with this.

I wouldn't turn up at a party uninvited.