Tories propose to limit Child Benefit to 3 children

What, you want to pull up the ladder after you?

I have no children so have no ladder to pull up.

All I want is that if this is brought in, it doesn't affect existing families. If you choose to have 4+ children after/if this is brought in, you know the score.

The Conservatives are considering limiting child benefit to three children, BBC Newsnight has learned.

The Treasury is "softening" to the idea and is examining the details, Newsnight political editor Allegra Stratton said.

It would save an estimated £300m a year - but Tory MP Dominic Raab said it was not purely about cost but could "send a message about personal responsibility".

Is Child Benefit ever a consideration for those having children? Genuine question.

The complete scrapping of child benefit would be a better policy and the money saved could be put to much better use.

The complete scrapping of child benefit would be a better policy and the money saved could be put to much better use.

Children get free health care, free school meals up to the age of 7, free dentistry, reduced VAT on childrens essentials. Should taxes pay for parents to clothe, and give children 2 healthy meals? If parents cannot feed and clothe their children, are they good parents, some may need help, but does every parent need child benefit? I am a parent of 1 child.

What £500 is this? I never got anything what my daughter was born, I'm not complaining mind you.

We also never received this £500, it would have been nice though.

I imagine this is another one of those benefits aimed at the unemployed.

Edited by Bonjon

Wasn't it money given to every child "in trust" or something when they were born to encourage simple folk to vote labour - sorry, encourage saving?

---------- Post added 05-03-2015 at 13:56 ----------

Children get free health care, free school meals up to the age of 7, free dentistry, reduced VAT on childrens essentials. Should taxes pay for parents to clothe, and give children 2 healthy meals? If parents cannot feed and clothe their children, are they good parents, some may need help, but does every parent need child benefit? I am a parent of 1 child.

So what if you have 4 kids are in work for years then all of a sudden you aren't in work anymore? It's a fine idea in theory but it will have its problems.

It is the sure start maternity grant, I had thought it had been discontinued but it looks like I was wrong.

jb

---------- Post added 05-03-2015 at 14:04 ----------

It is the sure start maternity grant, I had thought it had been discontinued but it looks like I was wrong.

jb

Wasn't it money given to every child "in trust" or something when they were born to encourage simple folk to vote labour - sorry, encourage saving?

It seems there were two different schemes, the Child Trust Fund (which has now been scrapped and was given to every new parent to invest for their children) and the Sure Start Maternity grant which is given to parents who are in receipt of certain benefits to assist in buying prams, cots and hard drugs.

jb

So what if you have 4 kids are in work for years then all of a sudden you aren't in work anymore? It's a fine idea in theory but it will have its problems.

Wouldnt you find work, there is work out there.

Such as?

One thing is for certain the average taxpayer will not see a penny of it returned to them. Just like the so called benefit cuts, any savings will just get flitted away on other stuff.

You imagine wrong then. My partner and I were both in full time work at the time.

Edited by Mr Bloom