Tube Crush, is this a double standard?

Has anyone else seen this current news report on the facebook page / website dedicated to Chinese women posting pictures of men they see on the London underground they consider to be hot.

When this is the other way round, they are called creepshots and are considered wrong/perverted. Why is it ok for women to do this to men when its not ok for men to do this to women?

Double Standard?

It's in the same way that if a guy has a younger girlfriend he's called a pervert/cradlesnatcher and numerous other things, yet when a woman gets a younger boyfriend it's laughed off because she's a "cougar".

The website is actually a British page, and given the Tube is British will mainly be British contributors one would have thought

http://www.tubecrush.net

I dont know who did it first. Tubecrush.net has been going since 2011, however the news report started on the BBC with this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-31715459

So what we have is a site that has been running for nearly 4 years that posts pictures of men, without their knowledge and comments on their physical attractiveness. If this was women, there would be a hate campaign against the sites owners!

Edited by Berberis

Has anyone else seen this current news report on the facebook page / website dedicated to Chinese women posting pictures of men they see on the London underground they consider to be hot.

When this is the other way round, they are called creepshots and are considered wrong/perverted. Why is it ok for women to do this to men when its not ok for men to do this to women?

Double Standard?

Perhaps due to a history cultural misogyny and an ongoing prevalence of misogynistic tendencies of a great many men women don't like to be viewed as simply a walking vagina. This is no comparable history of discrimination against men simply due to the contents of their trousers.

jb

Perhaps due to a history cultural misogyny and an ongoing prevalence of misogynistic tendencies of a great many men women don't like to be viewed as simply a walking vagina. This is no comparable history of discrimination against men simply due to the contents of their trousers.

jb

So going by your standard, because of historical slavery perpetrated in the majority against Black people, white slavery today is perfectly justified :huh:

So going by your standard, because of historical slavery perpetrated in the majority against Black people, white slavery today is perfectly justified :huh:

Poor analogy. The objectification of men doesn't have the same connotations as that of women. In other words, men don't tend to mind being ogled because there has been no history of that being all they are good for. It is different for women, especially the good looking ones, as for many years (and even today for the Neanderthals amongst us ) they were considered as nothing more then eye candy, a walking sex object with no worth other than that they can do in the bedroom (and cooking and cleaning etc). Despite all the forward progress that has been made they are still treated far from equally as men, they are still sexually objectified to the detriment of any other attributes they may possess and they still have to battle against ingrained sexism on a daily basis.

jb

So basically, your saying it's ok as it's payback time for women.

or

Because there's not a lot of history wrt behavior like this toward men it's excusable?

I thought I was on mumsnet for a minute.

I didn't say it was excusable. I simply explained why most men probably don't care and why some women might. If you think my explanation is wrong then explain why...

jb

ETA: A better analogy than the slavery one posted above would be that it is OK to call a Brit a Brit but it is not OK to call someone from Pakistan a **** because one term is loaded with racist baggage while the other is not.

jb