Greystock Road/ Sutherland Street, Attercliffe.

High Tonnio I started as labourer and then went to pitman and ended up as ladleman Sam French trained me I was on Frank Hutesons set .With Ronnie Drihusrst you will remember crooner . Jake was my was my brother in law second hand to little Arther Brians farther did have LOrd Nelson Mark and Pat took Chantry over at woodseats but I heard Mark died of heart attack had some good times there a good set of blokes .

Send me your email address and I will send you some pictures that I took in the 60's. I remember all your old work mates very well.

T

• 10 months later...

Hi

I'm new to the group but would you be happy for me to possibly use the picture of the pubs in a book I am working on about pubs in Sheffield? If you are able to scan this it would be much appreciated. I'd be interested in any other info that you have on this pub/ picture and i'd be happy to receive any info via here or by my email - sheffieldpubs@outlook.com . I will ensure that a picture credit is included if the photo is used in the publication.

Thanks

Jamie

---------- Post added 15-02-2016 at 18:38 ----------

Can anyone verify/ provide any more info on the Fred Truman story? I've seen passing reference to it but have also seen that the cricket ball shut in the 30s? Anyone have anything more info on Fred's crash?!

• 9 months later...

I have been reminiscing with my older sister and we couldn't remember the name of the butchers on the corner of Sutherland Road I just knew that there would be a thread somewhere on SF that would help and sure enough here it is, it was Peels Butchers, they had a large Chow dog, as a child I was fascinated by its purple tongue, i still can't remember the shop next door that my mom used to send me to for tall necked milk.

Edited by rainbow2411

I have been reminiscing with my older sister and we couldn't remember the name of the butchers on the corner of Sutherland Road I just knew that there would be a thread somewhere on SF that would help and sure enough here it is, it was Peels Butchers, they had a large Chow dod, as a child I was fascinated by its purple tongue, i still can't remember the shop next door that my mom used to send me to for tall necked milk.

Next to Peels butchers was a newsagents and next to that was a grocers and sandwich shop. It was Jim Sawles and his prem and plckle sandwiches were to die for. This was in the 50s and and 60s when I worked at Spear and Jackson

Next to Peels butchers was a newsagents and next to that was a grocers and sandwich shop. It was Jim Sawles and his prem and plckle sandwiches were to die for. This was in the 50s and and 60s when I worked at Spear and Jackson

Wasn't there a Fish and Chip shop on Sutherland Street, opposite the end of Greystock Street ?

The fish and chip shop was on the other side of the road from the butchers a bit further towards Norfolk Bridge.

---------- Post added 29-11-2016 at 23:33 ----------

Oh I dont remember the newsagent we always bought our papers from Miles Coopers, except the Green Un from the man on the corner of Attercliffe and Sutherland roads and Sunday papers which we bought from the man with the horse and cart. For a while I used help on his round he gave 2/6d and a free 'Girl' and 'School Friend', sadly I can't remember his name but I remember riding Dolly his ex police horse back to the stables, such happy carefree days.

Edited by rainbow2411