People collecting for charity at night

If the charities like Red Cross or BHA didn't contract with independent fundraisng companies, you wouldn't have people knocking at your door. These companies canvass on behalf of a specific charity and rotate every few weeks. If it didn't work, they wouldn't do it.

If the charities like Red Cross or BHA didn't contract with independent fundraisng companies, you wouldn't have people knocking at your door. These companies canvass on behalf of a specific charity and rotate every few weeks. If it didn't work, they wouldn't do it.

Yeah but how many of the people they sign are genuinely moved to do so and how many signed up because they them to bugger off. Worryingly how many are signed up who might be a bit vunerable?

You don’t need a pin number to empty a bank account. All you need is a sort code and account number. You then go online giving to charities etc. Anyone remember A DJ on the radio saying it is impossible and challenge his listeners to prove it. Guess what happened, Thousands of pounds got lifted from his bank account, Hiring cars for the day, Large donations to charities etc. With only the sort code and account number.

---------- Post added 06-03-2015 at 22:51 ----------

Just seen another one on this forum: Here

Jeremy Clarkson had a DD set up for a charity, he got his money back.

You can't hire cars or do anything else that can't be done by DD.

---------- Post added 07-03-2015 at 00:35 ----------

Lets say I chap a door. Get details then set up a direct debit for … I want a new car. For every 10 houses 8 will never notice the money leaving their account each month. Never give any bank details.

8 out of 10 people won't notice a direct debit for a car :huh:

Edited by Cyclone

In my opinion, tell the door-stop chuggers to do one.

If you want to give to a charity, it should be at a time and place of your own choosing. Not because some Shylock has knocked on the door and has talked you into supporting a random cause where a fair chunk of the money goes to him and the CEO of the charity.

My 2cents anyway

Jeremy Clarkson had a DD set up for a charity, he got his money back.

You can't hire cars or do anything else that can't be done by DD.

---------- Post added 07-03-2015 at 00:35 ----------

8 out of 10 people won't notice a direct debit for a car :huh:

Tell that to my cousin! lol

---------- Post added 07-03-2015 at 00:54 ----------

Re Read my last post!

---------- Post added 07-03-2015 at 00:56 ----------

8 out of 10 people won't notice a direct debit for a car? Its true! Tell me why they would not?

---------- Post added 07-03-2015 at 00:58 ----------

OK question to the forum… How often do you go over every direct debit? Looking for a payment that you don’t know about… I will answer for you almost NEVER!

OK question to the forum… How often do you go over every direct debit? Looking for a payment that you don’t know about… I will answer for you almost NEVER!

I check my account almost daily, since i can't afford for any 'new' payments going out! We have a don't knock sign, a don't buy/sell at this door and they still knock. Each time now, I report them to 101 for harassment.

Tell that to my cousin! lol

---------- Post added 07-03-2015 at 00:54 ----------

Re Read my last post!

---------- Post added 07-03-2015 at 00:56 ----------

8 out of 10 people won't notice a direct debit for a car? Its true! Tell me why they would not?

---------- Post added 07-03-2015 at 00:58 ----------

I look at my account somewhere between weekly and fortnightly.

I don't need to go over every direct debit, there aren't that many. I look at every transaction though, including DD, it's not that difficult, if it's £40 from a cash machine, or £5 in tesco or Costa, then I spent it. If I don't recognise it then I'd be on the phone to the bank.

And I'd definitely spot an unexpected payment to Hertz, or a car purchase company, or most anything else.

What kind of idiot wouldn't notice an unexpected direct debit to a company they haven't bought something from?

I still wouldn't give bank details to anyone, and I don't think they should go door to door, if you wanted to donate to charity you would look into it yourself surely, you can't trust anyone these days with all the scams going around.