Council car parking charge changes..

On the news this morning was a story about what looks like fairly radical changes to the car parking rules that councils must abide by.

Primarily, it seemed to focus upon being given a 10 minute 'leeway' if you are late back. But reading the article in the BBC news page here, it seems there are more significant changes afoot.

Guidance for councils reminding them they are banned from "using parking to generate profit"

A right for residents and businesses to demand - by a petition - that a council "reviews parking in their area"

New powers for parking adjudicators so they can "hold councils to account"

Protection to stop drivers being fined after parking at out-of-order meters

A ban on the use of CCTV "spy cars" except in no-parking areas such as bus lanes and near schools

Even just the first point surprised me. I wasn't aware that councils are (on the face of it) banned from making a profit from fines. Don't they all?

On the news this morning was a story about what looks like fairly radical changes to the car parking rules that councils must abide by.

Primarily, it seemed to focus upon being given a 10 minute 'leeway' if you are late back. But reading the article in the BBC news page here, it seems there are more significant changes afoot.

Even just the first point surprised me. I wasn't aware that councils are (on the face of it) banned from making a profit from fines. Don't they all?

The second one is a bit of a laugh..things may be reviewed but that doesn't mean they'll get changed..

Interesting piece, I wonder now if someone will challenge the fines in court, using evidence that the council are making a profit when they should not be allowed to.

I can't see the councils willingly decreasing the parking fines, or cutting back on enforcement.

Interesting piece, I wonder now if someone will challenge the fines in court, using evidence that the council are making a profit when they should not be allowed to.

I can't see the councils willingly decreasing the parking fines, or cutting back on enforcement.

I just read further down the article, and it seems, as long as you don't call it 'profit'....then it's fine for them to make money.

According to figures from the RAC Foundation, councils in England made a combined surplus of £667 million from their on and off-street parking operations in 2013-14.

By law, any surplus councils make from parking fees must be ploughed back into transport projects such as road improvements.

Apart from the extra 10 minutes there is nothing really new here.Councils have never had the right to make a profit but they get out of it by saying they are only covering costs.It is just an attempt to win votes.In the meantime it does not appear that any changes have been made regarding the private parking companies who are ripping people off in supermarket and other private land car parks.Another non starter from this half baked government.

A right for residents and businesses to demand - by a petition - that a council "reviews parking in their area"

I demand that this thread is taken down, its informing people about real news, LOL

I just read further down the article, and it seems, as long as you don't call it 'profit'....then it's fine for them to make money.

So long as they spend it on road improvements or traffic related stuff, it's not a profit. It can't fund parks or social care though.