Shooting brakes\estate cars

used to do a bit of beating in my youth, the chaps (working class living on council estate so definitely not "toffs") would have their lunch break sat on the back of the estates as there was no where else to sit. The range rover was the best as it had the split tail gate the lower section made a more comfortable seat.

• 2 weeks later...
Think estate car/shooting brakes were originally one off conversions for toffs. When a new car was bought the old one would be converted locally for use as a general "hack"round the estate grounds.

Well shooting brakes woodies estate cars and some times 5 door. But what I like about this Sheffield forum IS the conversation changes to some thing comletely different like Morris Minors and Morris steering problems But estate cars was the common name for all.. depends on when you entered the universe AND of course were you Yorkshire/ Sheffield born??? The morris minor was called a traveller...If you really want to know!! From an Ex bomb site car dealer..but that was yeeeears ago.

Always thought shooting brake was because the hand brake was near the front of the dash board and not on the floor between the front seats we had a morris j4 and a thames trader vans that they called shooting brakes in 60s

yes we had a shooting brake but i'm sure must have been pre-war always thought just as the name said used as a hunting for carrying the guns to the moors :confused::confused:and bringing the dead birds