Why Did They Demolish So Much Of Attercliffe In The 1980s?

I must have lived pretty close to your Aunt PT. I lived in the corner house on the junction of Anns/Richards road. The 2 end of terrace houses that still exist on the row running up Richards Rd were an electrical shop and a greengrocers, they were bang opposite our house. Remember Petes newsagents and a bakery on the Alexandra junction. Spencer junction had Drakies corner shop, Charlies chippy and an old barbershop. As far as Attercliffe goes I remember loads of secondhand shops on the Common when my dad took me to buy an airpistol for my birthday.

There is very little accuracy in the descriptions of Attercliffe and the Common.

From the 1920's large scale demolition of housing took place as by the standards of the day they were substandard and the area was unhealthy. New estates connected by tram were created north and south of the valley to which the Attercliffe residents were glad to move.

In the 30's depression caused the shrinking and closure of many smaller businesses.

War time demand meant that established steelworks had expanded and swallowed up the former residential area leaving Attercliffe centre.

By 1970 the vast majority of housing had gone.

Many of the businesses along Attercliffe Road catered for the Pakistani and Yemeni communities and many others profiting from the cheap rent.

By 1980 the works that existed had shrunk with many empty and roofless buildings surrounded by empty yards.

By the mid 80's most of the old works had closed and flattened. The widening of Attercliffe Common and later Brightside Lane was on derelict land with very little demolition required. An exception was the rebuilding of part of The Excelsior.

These roads were further improved with the much needed regeneration in the 90's.

The biggest housing changes of the 80s were in the Staniforth, Worksop, Coleridge and Greenland Road areas

Edited by Annie Bynnol