Is social media making people less sociable?

How many social media followers etc do you actually keep in touch with? Is social media making people less sociable and socially competent?

Recently took an extended break from facebook. Got back just to find streams of adverts and people using it to get positive reinforcement from strangers. Vacuous and needy? Or helpful?

How many social media followers etc do you actually keep in touch with? Is social media making people less sociable and socially competent?

Not sure what the answer is, but social media does bring people together too. People that are not very good, socially, introverts such as myself, and people that do games 24/7.

I have met a best friend due to online chat, over 5 years ago, and my present girlfriend due to a facebook message.

Altho I would prefer meeting people face to face, I am a sociable person, but rather shy.

Everyone I know I met in real life, social media outlets are just one of the ways that I now keep in touch with them. How could an extra way to communicate make people less sociable?

I think I am not very good, socially, so it makes me more sociable, but only as a way of contact, I do find online chat liable to confuse issues.

My 14 yr old daughter has her head in her phone 24/7, but she is very bright, so it may have little effect.

Everyone I know I met in real life, social media outlets are just one of the ways that I now keep in touch with them. How could an extra way to communicate make people less sociable?

A number of ways. Never getting out the bedroom. Staring into a phone in social situations. Thinking youve got friends when they are just cyber friendsEtc etc

---------- Post added 09-03-2015 at 00:35 ----------

I pay a phone bill and its the easiest way to contact people i know. Never use social media as what would be the point.

I think social media can allow you to make a 'personality make over' if that makes any sense..especially if you haven't met those you are in contact with..eventually the cracks will appear over time. I'm like Janie, I don't use SM other than SF, or to glean information outside of social context.. Being part of social media doesn't necessarily make you a successful socialite.