Is social media making people less sociable?

Who cares?

You, that's why you're still trying to cover up for the lie.

Nitpick about the links all you want, but the evidence is clear. I could have picked out hundreds of studies and articles...so clearly my claims had foundation.

Errr, no, that's not evidence. Peer reviewed science is evidence. What you posted was journalists not understanding correlation and causation.

Hence the point I made about your friends.

What point are you trying to make? I don't think you even know tbh...

If it makes you feel better..the forum is 'a social media'. So are online magazines, so are article sites, so are blogs, so are web 2.0 properties...you're plainly never going to agree about their being a clear difference between social media (twitter) and forums (sheffield forum).

Just lumping them all together is idiotic. But there you go.

The point was simply that this is an example of social media, something you denied and are now backtracking on.

Trying to not break the truce here. You are arguing semantics without understanding the semantics. Although skinz message wasn't very nice, he was absolutely right. In a taxonomy view of internet services social media is higher (A parent) than a forum which is a sibling to Twitter, Facebook and so on.

With that out of the way, you are referring to popular sources rather than academic articles to demonstrate that social media CAN increase anxiety. But so does driving, that does not mean that driving leads to less social ability, nor does it mean that every driver is anxious.

With regards to social media, the opposite case is far stronger, that social media enables a much larger social network and therefore has a positive effect on social capital, thus increasing social behaviour.

In the end it is the operator that decides on the impact, whether a car or a social media application.

Not sure what your inane point is..

Human = male = ubermaus. We refer to you as 'Ubermaus' not 'Human' although that is what you are..I think.

Social media = SF - FB - twitter - Wiki etc. The taxonomy only defines as an identifiable unique name...like Ubermaus or troll.

Stop being a dick...'human'.

I'd stick to gas valves if I was you...

---------- Post added 12-03-2015 at 17:48 ----------

You, that's why you're still trying to cover up for the lie.

Errr, no, that's not evidence. Peer reviewed science is evidence. What you posted was journalists not understanding correlation and causation.

Hence the point I made about your friends.

The point was simply that this is an example of social media, something you denied and are now backtracking on.

No its an example of a forum. And you've no idea about my friends or social media accounts, hence why I interjected and called you out.

I have, because you described them. You tried to extrapolate your friends as if they were some sort of representative sample, and I said that they weren't, whatever commonality affects your friends says more about your friends than anything else.

---------- Post added 12-03-2015 at 18:14 ----------

This was what you didn't like in fact wasn't it.

I particularly like this paragraph

In theory, the social networking website Facebook could be great for people with low self-esteem. Sharing is important for improving friendships. But in practice, people with low self-esteem seem to behave counterproductively, bombarding their friends with negative tidbits about their lives and making themselves less likeable

---------- Post added 10-03-2015 at 07:57 ----------

I certainly think Facebook is linked to low self esteem, as see a lot of people looking to post for validation from other people. 'Fishing' for comments.

Ergo, you have a lot of "friends" with low self esteem.

Facebook didn't create that low self esteem though.

It's basic logic. But you don't like the implication.

I have, because you described them. You tried to extrapolate your friends as if they were some sort of representative sample, and I said that they weren't, whatever commonality affects your friends says more about your friends than anything else.

---------- Post added 12-03-2015 at 18:14 ----------

This was what you didn't like in fact wasn't it.

I particularly like this paragraph

---------- Post added 10-03-2015 at 07:57 ----------

It's basic logic. But you don't like the implication.

It's very basic almost monkey-like logic. You've took an insert from an article, spliced it together with part of a post in a linear fashion and THATS YOUR EVIDENCE? tenous to say the least...

All you've highlighted with my post is that was an opinion. It's clear it's not 'evidence' in a scientific sense nor did I claim as such.

It's a bit like your counter opinion that it must be my friends. Absolutely no scientific basis whatsoever although you've claimed this to be fact / logic:hihi:

You did read the Daily Mail article? then you know it was based on a study..

---------- Post added 12-03-2015 at 18:46 ----------

My conclusion - Social media makes ubermaus less sociable.

For sure. But I'm not in the minority of one. Hence the links.

Edited by ubermaus

I'd stick to gas valves if I was you...

You mean you want your own thread closing by diverting with irrelevant answers? That's fine, you've took the thread from mildly interesting to stupendously moronic...all on your lonesome. Well done.

Trying to not break the truce here. You are arguing semantics without understanding the semantics. Although skinz message wasn't very nice, he was absolutely right. In a taxonomy view of internet services social media is higher (A parent) than a forum which is a sibling to Twitter, Facebook and so on.

With that out of the way, you are referring to popular sources rather than academic articles to demonstrate that social media CAN increase anxiety. But so does driving, that does not mean that driving leads to less social ability, nor does it mean that every driver is anxious.

With regards to social media, the opposite case is far stronger, that social media enables a much larger social network and therefore has a positive effect on social capital, thus increasing social behaviour.

In the end it is the operator that decides on the impact, whether a car or a social media application.

So it's an internet services taxonomy?...additionally I never claimed social media did not have positive effects.

I would not disagree with your points on that basis.

You mean you want your own thread closing by diverting with irrelevant answers? That's fine, you've took the thread from mildly interesting to stupendously moronic...all on your lonesome. Well done.

No I mean you should stick to gas valves.

---------- Post added 12-03-2015 at 18:54 ----------

On this (your) thread you are. #1 Dicky.

You seem somewhat special. I pity you.