Should 11 year olds be taught about rape??

Should pupils as young as 11 be taught about rape?*

Pupils are to learn the differences between rape and consensual sex from the age of 11 as part of a drive to equip pupils with the necessary skills for "life in modern Britain". The age-appropriate "consent classes" are to be added to the personal, social, health and economic syllabus after concerns were raised that teenagers were being pressured to have sex

my answer is yes they should be taught in all schools across uk

just a topic from this morning.

Yes young people should be taught about rape and abuse. Lessons should be age appropriate, and delivered in a sensitive manner. There should be no 'opt out' clauses for parents as there are for sex education lessons.

Given how many adults there are that don't seem to understand the difference between consensual sex and rape, you can't rely on parents knowing enough about the subject to tell their children.

So I think teaching 11 year olds about rape and consensual sex is a great idea.

The whole aim of the teaching is to teach age appropriate messages about the entire concept of 'consent'. Initially this is likely to be in all sorts of other contexts with younger children, but when the children reach the age when they are likely to meet sexual references then yes, proper consent with regard to sexual matters is really important.

If this is approached from the point of view of their bodies being under their control and they have a right not to do something which makes them uncomfortable, a right to refuse to do something just because someone is asking or pressuring them to do it and a right to walk away completely and/or tell someone else when this happens then how is that a bad thing?

Children are pretty savvy and straight up people. Why would helping arm them against being unduly influenced by others in all areas of life not be a good thing?

I agree with the replies to date. I was a bit concerned at the talking head woman who was interviewed on BBC news yesterday. She seemed to have her head firmly in the sand when she appeared to say that they shouldn't teach this as its not appropriate for all children.

I agree they should. Children should be taught about consent; not just from the point of view of understanding that someone telling them no means no, but also to understand that if they say no to someone that the aggressor is well aware of what it means too.

No, for two reasons.

Eleven is too young and this sort of thing is the responsibility of parents, not the state.

Unfortunately children get raped and assaulted at eleven, and the majority of sexual abuse, AFAIK, happens in the home, therefore it has to be the responsibility of the state via schools.

No, for two reasons.

Eleven is too young and this sort of thing is the responsibility of parents, not the state.

A big advantage of teaching this at school is that everyone in the class gets to know at the same time. I think that this is much better than the half truths and misunderstandings that occur when some kids know bits and spread their bits of knowledge amongst their peers. Much better if everyone gets the same information at the same time. Putting it into the curriculum will help to achieve that.