Should 11 year olds be taught about rape??

doesn't need to be taught about rapes

Bit of a red herring really. "being taught about rape" was only suggested by the op to cover for the real proposal which is consent, a bit DM if you ask me.

Rape is real, rape is committed by children. Consent also exists as well as manipulation, control and pressure, all concepts that play their own part, this helps address that. No doubt rape would be included as part within the syllabus, and why not?

Behaviour and boundaries should be taught as soon as possible at the appropriate age to equip youngsters to spot the signs long before any situation escalates to sexual violence.

In real life some children are exposed to this at a very young age and it could help them recover faster if they know it is wrong at get the help they need quickly in order to make a full recovery and not carry the guilt for the rest of their lives.

Some people join the police or the army to do their bit for society when other just need to speak up and stop this vile crime and to help others from being victims.

A school is the perfect peer environment for that, ready made too.

I've never argued against that.

I would encourage progressive education based predominately on age (because that seems like the best overall parameter). However, I would argue against teaching 11 year olds about rape, unless it was a school out of the mainstream because they are in a school for vulnerable people for example.

It isn't enough to say 11 yr olds should know right from wrong..or what to do when something is wrong.. If all children should know right from wrong then it dictates that adults should to. That being the case nothing wrong would happen.

Couldn't you write something more obtuse? (especially the middle bit)

You aren't reading the question and my response.

"Something that is happening" is a bit late isn't it. The whole idea is about "something that could happen, but be avoided", here's a few tools to deal with it.

I'm not sure we're on the same bar here.

We are talking about 11 year olds. That's what the question was.

Should 11 year olds be taught about rape? For me, no.

Though I criticized Mr.M, I agree his 'dodge the question response' - 'Yes young people should be taught about rape and abuse. Lessons should be age appropriate, and delivered in a sensitive manner'

I also agreed with post 11, but again the age/school part was avoided.

-

Rubbish reply, and an ironically cheap childish retort.

I don't have kids (and it may surprise you, but I was once a child too), but my best mate's lad, 11 yo boy (who I've known from birth) doesn't need to be taught about rapes. I'm pretty sure he almost certainly knows about sex through either school friends, or school education, why teach about rape? Kids know right and wrong. They should be encouraged to speak out when something is wrong, as I said earlier.

I'll argue with you if this is your belief that it should be, as you have and others have stated. I stand by my earlier post as the reason.

I noticed Mr.M in post#2 used his intelligence to avoid committing to an age number. Sneaky as ever.

The trouble is Ash, when we leave sex education to the playground instead of the classroom, the educational content and standard of teaching are even more hit and miss! Our kids deserve better.

I've never argued against that.

I never suggested you did, I made a statement.

I would encourage progressive education based predominately on age (because that seems like the best overall parameter). However, I would argue against teaching 11 year olds about rape,

There you go again with the word "rape". The proposal is about consent and its concept. Children will not be going to "Rape" classes in the same way they don't go to "Bully" classes, but bullying is at the forefront not only by teachers. but by pupils too..across all ages.

Couldn't you write something more obtuse? (especially the middle bit)

"I don't have kids (and it may surprise you, but I was once a child too)

or

Other than "NO" you have failed to say why "rape" shouldn't be to an 11yr old within the context of consent..

You aren't reading the question and my response.

The government isn't proposing "rape" classes, why answer a question that's only in the mind of the op.

I'm not sure we're on the same bar here.

Obviously not. Providing children with tools at an early age, or not providing would seem reckless

We are talking about 11 year olds. That's what the question was.

As a singular concept I would agree, but again where in the proposal has the government suggested that?

Though I criticized Mr.M, I agree his 'dodge the question response' - 'Yes young people should be taught about rape and abuse. Lessons should be age appropriate, and delivered in a sensitive manner'

I also agreed with post 11, but again the age/school part was avoided.

Not everyone is sitting by a computer, I'm sure an appropriate reply will be forthcoming. Patience is a virtue. I don't think I've ever noticed Mr M dodge a question to date.

You as "I once was a child" may have had the perfect upbringing but many children have not and are physically and mentally abused within the household raging from all ages from infancy. That abuse is instilled as a positive by the perp " Our little times together at nights are very special, shhh don't tell anyone or mummy could die"

Consensual awareness is a sweeping broad brush that can inform on many levels, rape is specific, which isn't the proposal, then again it shouldn't deny its involvement within the context simply because of the word.

Only if the parent tells them. Some parents might not talk about sex at all with their children. Why is it too young? 11 year olds are already taught sex education in school, should they not be taught the issue of consent as well?

Sounds like you don't have much experience with the modern day 11 year old child and how advanced they are.

Considering the amount of precarious crap information we allow access to our children as adults, I think as a return we should supply a counter at least.

We talk about age appropriate but much of the information out there isn't, and it equally doesn't pull any punches either. It certainly needs a redress.

Infants have the capability now to access quick non thinking visual stimuli but probably absorb it as a school boy/girl giggle, simply because their sexual awareness hasn't yet kicked in. For some though it could reinforce what is sadly very real in their vulnerable lives. One year pre-puberty would imo be a reasonable induction into the governments idea.

Children at 11 should know right from wrong is an adults cop out, and justifies their failure back onto the child...it quite simply isn't that easy.

11 yr olds taught rape? No. Rape as part of a much wider picture? Absolutely, maybe even a little earlier, considering an 11 yr old child is as likely as anyone to be a victim.

Rubbish reply, and an ironically cheap childish retort.

I don't have kids (and it may surprise you, but I was once a child too), but my best mate's lad, 11 yo boy (who I've known from birth) doesn't need to be taught about rapes. I'm pretty sure he almost certainly knows about sex through either school friends, or school education, why teach about rape? Kids know right and wrong. They should be encouraged to speak out when something is wrong, as I said earlier.

I'll argue with you if this is your belief that it should be, as you have and others have stated. I stand by my earlier post as the reason.

I noticed Mr.M in post#2 used his intelligence to avoid committing to an age number. Sneaky as ever.

Very kind of you to acknowledge my intelligence *_Ash_*.

There was no intention on my part to be 'sneaky'. I'm sure you're aware that people mature at different ages, therefore teachers and other education professionals are best placed to determine the ability and maturity of young people to deal with issues around inappropriate touching and abuse - hence my reply re age appropriateness.

I agree that children should be encouraged to speak out when something is wrong, but the whole area of abuse and inappropriate sexual behaviour is thorny. Children can be groomed and manipulated into giving responses that the abuser wishes, therefore an age appropriate introduction around the subject seem to be sensible.

I don't think an introduction to the subject to young people in itself is sufficient, other measures already in place such as vigilance on the part of teachers and staff to the signs of abuse is also necessary.

School seems like the appropriate arena for such conversations to happen, rather than the home environment, as I already stated, home isn't always a safe place.

The trouble is Ash, when we leave sex education to the playground instead of the classroom, the educational content and standard of teaching are even more hit and miss! Our kids deserve better.

I said and agree that age appropriate education should be done in the classroom.

The government isn't proposing "rape" classes, why answer a question that's only in the mind of the op.

Fair enough, but there was no link in the OP so I took that at face value. It's not something I've seen in the news, and I'm not going to google that on my home computer ron!

---------- Post added 10-03-2015 at 14:41 ----------

Very kind of you to acknowledge my intelligence *_Ash_*.

There was no intention on my part to be 'sneaky'. I'm sure you're aware that people mature at different ages, therefore teachers and other education professionals are best placed to determine the ability and maturity of young people to deal with issues around inappropriate touching and abuse - hence my reply re age appropriateness.

I know your intention wasn't sneaky, I try not to use emotional smiley things in threads, but a :) would have gone after that sentence had I used one there.

re bold: This looks quite individually targeting, and I'm not sure how this would work. If someone posts a link to the exact idea, then I can perhaps answer this more clearly.

I agree that children should be encouraged to speak out when something is wrong, but the whole area of abuse and inappropriate sexual behaviour is thorny. Children can be groomed and manipulated into giving responses that the abuser wishes, therefore an age appropriate introduction around the subject seem to be sensible.

I don't think an introduction to the subject to young people in itself is sufficient, other measures already in place such as vigilance on the part of teachers and staff to the signs of abuse is also necessary.

School seems like the appropriate arena for such conversations to happen, rather than the home environment, as I already stated, home isn't always a safe place.

I agree with much of this, though I'm still concerned with the age thing.

In a bit of a rush today as work in a bit, and just spent my time writing in other threads.

Should pupils as young as 11 be taught about rape?*

Pupils are to learn the differences between rape and consensual sex from the age of 11 as part of a drive to equip pupils with the necessary skills for "life in modern Britain". The age-appropriate "consent classes" are to be added to the personal, social, health and economic syllabus after concerns were raised that teenagers were being pressured to have sex

my answer is yes they should be taught in all schools across uk

just a topic from this morning.

Yes and no is my answer.

Firstly the first question is should sex education be tought to this age group. If the answer is no then certainly rape should not be mentioned. If the answer is yes then the next question is the one written by the OP.

If you teach about rape directly you will end up scaring the girls and not helping the boys. I think talk should be about consent and agreement. If you go down that route then yes it should be broached and just make reference to if people do something to you you dont like you tell somebody.

The age question is brought up regularly when it comes to sex education, and the answer to this is that a panel of expert educators and health professionals have decided how to broach the subject with children of different ages to be age appropriate and understandable for all of them. It is important that the children have a chance to visit and revisit the topic in order to ask questions and make sense of the topic in a gradual and gentle way before they are naturally likely to become sexually active.

The topic is not delivered in one lesson when the children are 11, it's led up to over a long period and delivered over months of spaced lessons at an age when most children are vaguely horrified of the whole concept of the other gender and of sex as a whole. This part is important, because lots of research has shown that the better informed that the children are at this age, the less likely they are to end up pregnant through ignorance of what they are doing and the later they are likely to choose to have sex for the first time.

If we trust the educational professionals to know what is, and what isn't, appropriate for a child of a certain age, then apart from the uncomfortable questions that are likely to be asked at home after the lessons there really isn't a down side to making sure that the children are better informed.