Painting and decorating advice needed

Please ignore everything so far.

It can be problematic to try to cover a silk or gloss finish with matt. The secret is to sand down the surface to provide a key so tthe new paint will adhere.

This works well if the surface is painted plaster, but if it's wallpaper, you clearly can't sand that.

Which is it?

What was wrong with the link I posted?

What was wrong with the link I posted?

It was a bit confusing, as they were trying to discuss two separate topics at the same time : covering one colour with another, as well as changing the surface finish from silk to matt.

Another option to provide a binding base for the new matt paint (on top of silk) is to coat the silk with Zinsser Gardz.

Edited by aliceBB

Please ignore everything so far.

It can be problematic to try to cover a silk or gloss finish with matt. The secret is to sand down the surface to provide a key so tthe new paint will adhere.

This works well if the surface is painted plaster, but if it's wallpaper, you clearly can't sand that.

Which is it?

It was a bit confusing, as they were trying to discuss two separate topics at the same time : covering one colour with another, as well as changing the surface finish from silk to matt.

Another option to provide a binding base for the new matt paint (on top of silk) is to coat the silk with Zinsser Gardz.

My bold=

Why did you post about how problematic it was to paint matt over silk paint if the op was asking about how to cover yellow paint yourself then?

Not going to argue but I read the op as how to paint over silk paint using matt paint which can sometimes cause the silk to bubble up hence my link instead of just advising two coats of white as a base coat.

My bold=

Why did you post about how problematic it was to paint matt over silk paint if the op was asking about how to cover yellow paint yourself then?

Not going to argue but I read the op as how to paint over silk paint using matt paint which can sometimes cause the silk to bubble up hence my link instead of just advising two coats of white as a base coat.

Because OP's problem is not how to cover yellow with cream (two coats of a decent quality paint should do this), but how to make matt paint adhere to a silk finish.

Well, I did say that I'm no expert! However, I emulsioned a room a while ago and ran out of paint. I purchased another tin to finish it off. The next morning, in the cold light of day, to my horror I realised that I had used matt on one part and silk on the other. I proceeded to re- paint over the silk with the matt. To be honest, there was no problem and the matt looked fine. I must have been lucky :)

Because OP's problem is not how to cover yellow with cream (two coats of a decent quality paint should do this), but how to make matt paint adhere to a silk finish.

Which my link covers :)

Thankyou everyone for the advice. I guess sanding is the way to go. It is plaster and not paper if it was paper i would just rip it off to make it easier for my self and start again. Im wanting to cover the silk yellow with a matt cream.

Sanding, plus a coat of Zinsser Gardz would be belt and braces. I'd go for that!

Good luck!