Mechanic / car repair person - can you give me some advice??

If you tell us the problem I can check the "book" repair time, which will give you a rough idea of labour time. Costs vary from garage to garage. Some charge £20 per hour, average is around £40 per hour, with dealers being £60 - £80.

For parts costs you can put your car reg into Euro Car Parts web site. Although you'll be seeing retail it will still give a rough idea.

Although with bodyparts it's sometimes a false economy with non-genuine stuff, as the cheap cost is offset by the part not fitting and needing the bodyshop to spend time fettling the part to get a decent fit.

What you save in parts costs you pay for with labour costs :(

Nothing to do with cars, but per hour scares people, It could end up being thousands. That’s why bespoke web design I do is fixed price. Everyone is happy no matter how long it takes.

In the motor trade you price up a job based on the book time (how long it's supposed to take to do the job) and parts cost, you give the quote and the customer either accepts it or looks elsewhere.

The cost shouldn't go above the quote given without the customers consent first, although some people do just tell a garage to go ahead with repairs without pricing first. On the other hand, some garages just go ahead with work they've found without seeking authority from the customer first.

I don't think I've ever come across someone being but off by hourly rates though.

• 1 month later...