Why all the fuss with Nando's?

I've been in and around here, on and off, since '96: good food is not the preserve of 'continentals' anymore, hasn't been for a long time I'm glad to say :)

On aggregate, by now, I've eaten better and more surprising/adventurous food on these here shores than back in France (save for Alsace...there is no better place for food than Alsace, period).

All the Michelin-starred hoity-toity put aside, I treasure memories of e.g. an epic whole lobster tandoori served to us at the George & Dragon pub in Wentworth, circa 2001 (IIRC). Still trying to find out where the British chef went ('Justin', IIRC) to this day.

I agree entirely mate, there are some excellent restaurants, which is why it puzzles me that people would want to go to Nando's, but then I am rather spoiled for good food as my wife is an ace cook.

Always amuses me when I speak to Dutch folk, first thing they say when they find out I live in the UK is: Ooh I bet the food is horrible. I always retort that this is pretty rich coming from someone who lives in a country where the height of home cooking was boiled potatoes and cabbage up until not too long ago!

Went there after listening to the hype train. I was expecting a half decent meal. Instead i got a bland bit of tasteless chicken with half cooked fries. Myself and my comrades left half our meal. Only sauce on offer was that disgusting peri peri.

Overpriced, bland and inedible was my verdict. Gordon Ramsey would have had a field day with the chefs *cough* microwaves in that place.

So why would people flock there? I'm stumped :gag::gag::gag::gag:

The original Nandos was great just like the original Loch Fynnes............but after coming to Sheffield they get the usual Sheffield disease after a while of lowered standards.Why this is beats me, but my suspicion is that after a while the staff make the job work for themselves more than the customer.

TBH what is James Martin if not a brand? James cookware,James Cutlery etcetc..
You can say that of any modern 'celeb' chef indulging in a bit of merchandising, including those with entirely-deserved professional recognition à la Heston Blumenthal.

For the little story, we went for Purnell rather than Martin (though Martin certainly held his own, he made the best dish on the night IMHO, his panfried halibut and seared scallop was something else alright).

(...and I bet you won't ever find Martin, Purnell or Blumenthal cooking in Nandos :P:D)

Always amuses me when I speak to Dutch folk, first thing they say when they find out I live in the UK is: Ooh I bet the food is horrible.
Used to get that a lot, unsurprisingly. These days I can happily delegate to my parents the task of "selling" the UK's love affair with food to their friends and acquaintances (and they're all grade-A, solid gold, triple-certified bona fide foodies, put us to shame!), they've been over and eaten in (local) choice places enough ;) Edited by L00b

The original Nandos was great just like the original Loch Fynnes............but after coming to Sheffield they get the usual Sheffield disease after a while of lowered standards.Why this is beats me, but my suspicion is that after a while the staff make the job work for themselves more than the customer.

You went to the original Nando's in South Africa as well as the original Loch Fyne in Scotland? Wow you are well travelled, or just making things up.

I wonder which it could be.

I had my first time at Nandos last Saturday, it was nice, filling and was decently priced. I didn't expect 5* cooking, it's located in Centertainment for god's sake !

It was far from the best meal I've had (Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse, NYC) but I would go back again.

I had my first time at Nandos last Saturday, it was nice, filling and was decently priced. I didn't expect 5* cooking, it's located in Centertainment for god's sake !

It was far from the best meal I've had (Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse, NYC) but I would go back again.

Exactly. It isn't haute cuisine but you don't expect that. The staff are cheerful and the atmosphere relaxed. And it's better than KFC.

Took my 'New' (as she was then!) Lady to Nando's (West St) a few years ago for our 1st meal(!) together.

We had the whole (Lemon +) Garlic Chicken, with Rice, Salad + Chips, to share. The flavour/s on the chicken were great, but unfortunately, mainly confined to the skin only, the actual meat of the chicken was tasteless and dry, something only 'masked' by the piri-piri sauce. As for the 'Sides'!, the servings were so small, I doubt we got a desert spoon of rice each, I let my OH have the salad (I would have been too embarassed to try to share it). Though thankfully the chips were a successful 'Icebreaker' when my OH said, "I only want 5 chips, you can have the other SIX", and we've been laughing ever since, but we have NEVER been back there.

Not knocking the place totally, the food was decent (apart from the main course), the staff were attentive & Pleasant and the 'Ambience' (Get me, Eh!) was good.

I personally don't see/get the 'Gotta go there attraction'!, But if we All liked the same thing/s there would be no need for Variety!!.

To Each Ther Own!.

You went to the original Nando's in South Africa as well as the original Loch Fyne in Scotland? Wow you are well travelled, or just making things up.

I wonder which it could be.

Having once lived in South Africa there were many Nando type places to eat in Jo"burg and Capetown,that was before Nando's was dreamt up! However I did eat in Nandos at Meadowhall when first opened and found it far superior to what is on offer now.

Yes I have eaten at the original Loch Fyne in Scotland where all the produce came locally! instead of now where the lobsters are sourced from Canada etc.

I also ate in Cambridge many times at Loch Fyne as well as some of there other outlets before the original owners sold out to a pub group which was the kiss of death!

The experience now is dismal compared to what it was at both firms mentioned unfortunately.............however only my opinion!