Can someone put a name to a pub - that isn't there anymore ?

Hi,

I used to go to Sheff Poly in the late 80's and although I've been to a few gigs in Sheffield since then, I have only really drunk at the venues ( Boardwalk & Greystones ) or the pubs around them; but this weekend is going to be different ! Yes, I'll be going to the Greystones Pub on Saturday for a gig, but we are staying in Sheffield all weekend and so I'm hoping to visit some of my old haunts - Old Queens Head, Red Deer, Fat Cat & the Roebuck ( where I had my first ever pint of bitter, back in 1986 !! ) - but one location I'd like to visit, is that of a pub that closed down many years ago - maybe early 90's or maybe even while we were still based there, but just for a laugh I'd like to re-visit the location.

Now all I can remember about the pub, was that it was VERY small - in fact most people drank outside on the road, it only sold hand-pulled Stones and I think lemonade (!) and it was pretty much a shack .... but the beer was superb !! Now looking on Google maps, I think the pub must have been on either Arundel Street or Eyre Lane and I think it was on a corner plot.

I know its a long shot - but does this description ring any bells with anyone on here ?

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi,

I used to go to Sheff Poly in the late 80's and although I've been to a few gigs in Sheffield since then, I have only really drunk at the venues ( Boardwalk & Greystones ) or the pubs around them; but this weekend is going to be different ! Yes, I'll be going to the Greystones Pub on Saturday for a gig, but we are staying in Sheffield all weekend and so I'm hoping to visit some of my old haunts - Old Queens Head, Red Deer, Fat Cat & the Roebuck ( where I had my first ever pint of bitter, back in 1986 !! ) - but one location I'd like to visit, is that of a pub that closed down many years ago - maybe early 90's or maybe even while we were still based there, but just for a laugh I'd like to re-visit the location.

Now all I can remember about the pub, was that it was VERY small - in fact most people drank outside on the road, it only sold hand-pulled Stones and I think lemonade (!) and it was pretty much a shack .... but the beer was superb !! Now looking on Google maps, I think the pub must have been on either Arundel Street or Eyre Lane and I think it was on a corner plot.

I know its a long shot - but does this description ring any bells with anyone on here ?

Cheers,

Chris.

I think you must mean the Lord Nelson on Arundel Street.

This pub was used by the workers from Turners cutlery works for many years.

It is a stones pub, [thank god a refuse from the real ale lip slappers] and was also a famous manking pub at one time where clandestine couples would sit behind the snug door gazing into each others eyes before firing up the Cortina and driving to a secluded spot behind the Midhill club on East Bank Road.

It is a stones pub, [thank god a refuse from the real ale lip slappers] and was also a famous manking pub at one time where clandestine couples would sit behind the snug door gazing into each others eyes before firing up the Cortina and driving to a secluded spot behind the Midhill club on East Bank Road.

Isn't the Nelson still there?.

By the way cuttsie I've just read your post out to the wife and we're in stitches here.:hihi::hihi:....

Edited by trav4

Isn't the Nelson still there?.

By the way cuttsie I've just read your post out to the wife and we're in stitches here.:hihi::hihi:....

Mankers a Sheffield past time:hihi: At one time;)

By the way the pub was still there last year when I walked past .

Mankers a Sheffield past time:hihi: At one time;)

By the way the pub was still there last year when I walked past .

All dressed up in their Barnie's suits and covered in cousins imperial leather aftershave.

The Nelson I remember was on Furnival Gate,closer to the Moor than Arundel Street,also it was no shack it had 2 levels and I think it is still standing,at least it was last time I was over there. Of course there could have been a Lord Nelson as well, I just don't recall it but I left the country 35 years ago and never did all the pubs.When I saw the original post I was thinking maybe the Minerva, but my memories of that area are a little foggy.Good luck with your search, bigmox 68

---------- Post added 09-03-2015 at 20:38 ----------

All dressed up in their Barnie's suits and covered in cousins imperial leather aftershave.

Is Barney Goodmans still around?

Edited by TORONTONY
typo

The Nelson I remember was on Furnival Gate,closer to the Moor than Arundel Street,also it was no shack it had 2 levels and I think it is still standing,at least it was last time I was over there. Of course there could have been a Lord Nelson as well, I just don't recall it but I left the country 35 years ago and never did all the pubs.When I saw the original post I was thinking maybe the Minerva, but my memories of that area are a little foggy.Good luck with your search, bigmox 68

---------- Post added 09-03-2015 at 20:38 ----------

That's a different Lord Nelson

If you mean "Fanny's" it's still open, I went past just yesterday. The beers a bit pricey so I've been told.

Thats the pub .

Nick name Fanny's which ties in with the Mankers.;)

---------- Post added 10-03-2015 at 08:30 ----------

The Lord Nelson has been pulled down now.

It ant.!!!!!!!