Can someone put a name to a pub - that isn't there anymore ?

The Nelson I remember was on Furnival Gate,closer to the Moor than Arundel Street,also it was no shack it had 2 levels and I think it is still standing,at least it was last time I was over there. Of course there could have been a Lord Nelson as well, I just don't recall it but I left the country 35 years ago and never did all the pubs.When I saw the original post I was thinking maybe the Minerva, but my memories of that area are a little foggy.Good luck with your search, bigmox 68

---------- Post added 09-03-2015 at 20:38 ----------

Is Barney Goodmans still around?

They went up market on Eccleshall road but I think it's closed now.

---------- Post added 10-03-2015 at 14:30 ----------

The Nelson which was on Furnival gate used to ne run by Tony Baines Jr who was killed by a steal girder he was unloading near Cole Brothers a couple or so years ago, he was the son of Pat and Tony Bomber Baines snr who had the Forresters on Division street for years.

Guest makapaka

So is Fannys still open then?

I used to work with a couple of fellas that went in there - graham bell and tony Atkinson.

So is Fannys still open then?

I used to work with a couple of fellas that went in there - graham bell and tony Atkinson.

Fanny's is still open , still int same place and still sells Stoneses although the Mankers are now all between 69 and 81[some of em are past it though:hihi:.

Guest makapaka
Fanny's is still open , still int same place and still sells Stoneses although the Mankers are now all between 69 and 81[some of em are past it though:hihi:.

I've only ever been in once probably 15 years ago - Couldnt even think how to get to it now. Is it behind the new Fire station on Arundel gate (or somewhere near?) might call in for one.

Here is an old photo. Must call in sometime - I''m almost old enough..:)

That is it Hillsbro , age is no barrier to a proper Sheffielder especially one born within the sounds of the Hillsbro roar;)

---------- Post added 10-03-2015 at 21:46 ----------

I've only ever been in once probably 15 years ago - Couldnt even think how to get to it now. Is it behind the new Fire station on Arundel gate (or somewhere near?) might call in for one.

Thats it walk past the rear of the fire station it is just around the corner near Eyre Lane.

The Nelson I remember was on Furnival Gate,closer to the Moor than Arundel Street,also it was no shack it had 2 levels and I think it is still standing,at least it was last time I was over there. Of course there could have been a Lord Nelson as well, I just don't recall it but I left the country 35 years ago and never did all the pubs.When I saw the original post I was thinking maybe the Minerva, but my memories of that area are a little foggy.Good luck with your search, bigmox 68

---------- Post added 09-03-2015 at 20:38 ----------

Is Barney Goodmans still around?

Barney Goodman opposite the Cremorne on London Road?

---------- Post added 11-03-2015 at 00:02 ----------

They went up market on Eccleshall road but I think it's closed now.

---------- Post added 10-03-2015 at 14:30 ----------

The Nelson which was on Furnival gate used to ne run by Tony Baines Jr who was killed by a steal girder he was unloading near Cole Brothers a couple or so years ago, he was the son of Pat and Tony Bomber Baines snr who had the Forresters on Division street for years.

Didn't Tony go to Myers Grove? I remember his mum with the Black beehive hair do, serving beer in the Forresters, with all the boxing photo's on the wall. Great boozer, called The Great Gatsby now.

---------- Post added 11-03-2015 at 00:04 ----------

If it's not made on Rutland Road or Claywheels Lane, it's not Stoones Cuttsie!!! :hihi:

---------- Post added 11-03-2015 at 00:06 ----------

That is it Hillsbro , age is no barrier to a proper Sheffielder especially one born within the sounds of the Hillsbro roar;)

---------- Post added 10-03-2015 at 21:46 ----------

Thats it walk past the rear of the fire station it is just around the corner near Eyre Lane.

Nicking my sayings Cuttsie!!! and it was "born within the sound of Last Orders at the John O'Gaunt" ;)

Talking of pubs is the pub still there where I spent many a happy Friday night

In the 70s and 80s? Worked in a small cutlery company at the time I think it was called Buttlers I think it was on a junction of Brown Street and Furnival Gate opposite large car showrooms called Autoways . Can't remember the pubs name but the landlady ruled the place like a rod of iron and hated any swearing!

Talking of pubs is the pub still there where I spent many a happy Friday night

In the 70s and 80s? Worked in a small cutlery company at the time I think it was called Buttlers I think it was on a junction of Brown Street and Furnival Gate opposite large car showrooms called Autoways . Can't remember the pubs name but the landlady ruled the place like a rod of iron and hated any swearing!

The Rutland arms on the corner,all brown tiles and Victorian fittings.

We had our wedding reception in the pub as I was working on the Red Tape studios across the Road.

Good day with a Chinese take away from't Golden Dragon just up the Road and then a trip to the dogs at Owlerton where I lost £12 .