Clarkson suspended by the BBC

The commercial channels will be after him cheque books in hand ,he was Top Gear the other two muppets were just side kicks.

The last time the beeb had a go it was for calling a bridge ,not level,a slope how many on here thought that slope was a derogatory term.

Another was him mumbling a line from a childrens nursery rhyme that we used to sing at school and that was not even broadcast.

The beeb have made a serious mistake and who ever suspended him should be sacked.

Too many people ignoring the brilliance of the pun :)

Nobody was forced to watch Clarkson, but hate him or love him, he sure made some classic TV. I used to be a massive fan of Top Gear but recently it's been same old same old. Some good episodes, the ambulances were a great start to this series for example, but in general the program needs a massive shake-up. Maybe this is it, maybe this is the end of it, who knows.

The commercial channels will be after him cheque books in hand ,he was Top Gear the other two muppets were just side kicks.

The last time the beeb had a go it was for calling a bridge ,not level,a slope how many on here thought that slope was a derogatory term.

Another was him mumbling a line from a childrens nursery rhyme that we used to sing at school and that was not even broadcast.

The beeb have made a serious mistake and who ever suspended him should be sacked.

I suppose it depends on what he's done??

Well saying that you find petrolheads boring would sort of indicate to me that you didn't like them - please accept my apologies if I misunderstood your feeling towards them.

Obviously racist (genuinely racist) behaviour is wrong and killing people on building sites is wrong. But taking the mick (oops) out of people for their differences is a little over the top for some people who thrive on being offended.

---------- Post added 10-03-2015 at 19:39 ----------

I don't automatically dislike people just because they are not striving to amuse me at every opportunity, and all of us must occasionally touch on a subject that isn't of vital interest to everyone during conversation.

In fact my car was in for a service today and I had an interesting conversation with the mechanic who's a nice guy and who I do find interesting on the subject. It's only the ones who go on and on about torque, acceleration rate, mpg etc that make my eyes start to glaze over.

No apology required. :)

As for the racist angle that's a bit different, there are people who like to cause offence and then hide behind the ' it was only a joke ' defence.

There are of course also people who take offence for the sake of it.

Although I'm half Irish I have no problem with your 'taking the Mick' comment and in fact have never interpreted that expression as an insult.

I always thought of it as an acknowledgement that the Irish are a quick witted and funny nation who like a laugh and 'pull your leg' on a regular basis.

There is however something that has always puzzled me with the national nickname game.

You know what a Mick or a Paddy is?

You know what a Jock is?

You know what a Taffy is?

What's the equivalent name for an Englishman?

I don't automatically dislike people just because they are not striving to amuse me at every opportunity, and all of us must occasionally touch on a subject that isn't of vital interest to everyone during conversation.

In fact my car was in for a service today and I had an interesting conversation with the mechanic who's a nice guy and who I do find interesting on the subject. It's only the ones who go on and on about torque, acceleration rate, mpg etc that make my eyes start to glaze over.

No apology required. :)

As for the racist angle that's a bit different, there are people who like to cause offence and then hide behind the ' it was only a joke ' defence.

There are of course also people who take offence for the sake of it.

Although I'm half Irish I have no problem with your 'taking the Mick' comment and in fact have never interpreted that expression as an insult.

I always thought of it as an acknowledgement that the Irish are a quick witted and funny nation who like a laugh and 'pull your leg' on a regular basis.

There is however something that has always puzzled me with the national nickname game.

You know what a Mick or a Paddy is?

You know what a Jock is?

You know what a Taffy is?

What's the equivalent name for an Englishman?

In America it'll be a Limey, in Australia it'll be a Pom, in France it'll be Le Roast Beef.

And in some parts of Ireland;)

I can assure you that none of those expressions are used in Ireland to describe the English.

Brit is the only semi disparaging description that I've heard, and that of course does not refer to just the English.

What puzzles me is that Paddy, Jock and Taff are all used and understood by Americans, Australians, Canadians, South Africans etc as common nicknames for the three nationalities but there is no common nickname for an Englishman.

So why don't the Irish, Scots and Welsh have a name for the English which would be understood by those other nations?

Nigel or Rupert perhaps.