Clarkson suspended by the BBC

---------- Post added 25-03-2015 at 02:54 ----------

Yes, I appreciate that it's the Guardian, a paper that I have never bought, but they have a point.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCUQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fcommentisfree%2F2014%2Fmay%2F07%2Fjeremy-clarkson-ukip-maverick-establishment-racist&ei=UVILVfvCJ4LiaJP9gbgE&usg=AFQjCNHT42Cql6fyagN-hW8_6231Jd5oaQ&bvm=bv.88528373,d.ZGU&cad=rja

Stuart Lee, a comedian that I don't particularly like - too much sarcasm - but again he has a point.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQyCkwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DK7CnMQ4L9Pc&ei=cFMLVa_KO6Xa7gbV14CQDA&usg=AFQjCNFip9RPc9abj8aBuLjnfuWda_p5tg&bvm=bv.88528373,d.ZGU

And the amusing thing is that he makes the point in an excellent ironic send up of Top Gear.

"seriously" if you don't get bored with with something that could be said in 15 seconds, not dragged out for 15 boring minutes , I can see why clarkson upsets you.

lee's a "typical "liberal"intolerant pretending to be tolerant(like most of the SF forum flock):D He is hate filled towards anyone who doesn't hold the same views as him. Which is ironic because those he hates never spout this degree of hate. Yet he drones on about how nasty and hateful they are. Typical "liberal" with delusions of superiority

Edited by johncocker

"seriously" if you don't get bored with with something that could be said in 15 seconds, not dragged out for 15 boring minutes , I can see why clarkson upsets you.

lee's a "typical "liberal"intolerant pretending to be tolerant(like most of the SF forum flock):D He is hate filled towards anyone who doesn't hold the same views as him. Which is ironic because those he hates never spout this degree of hate. Yet he drones on about how nasty and hateful they are. Typical "liberal" with delusions of superiority

Is behaviour is unacceptable regardless of what anyone says. You cannot push the "Freedom of Speech" line and use it as a tool to abuse and belittle others.

The best bit for me was that he decided he had to come out of character, at the end, to explain himself. I don't recall Warren Mitchell coming out of character at the end of each episode of Till Death Do Us Part, or Ricky Gervais coming out of character at the end of his sketch for Comic Relief a few years ago (where he did his interviews "in Africa" in a UK studio). Jeremy Clarkson has started trying to explain himself, on occasions, recently, simply because of some people doing exactly what Stuart Lee is now accusing Mail on Sunday readers of doing. In that respect, Stuart Lee finished up satirizing his own typical audience.

Who ever takes over from Clarkson is likely to be picking up the poison chalice. No doubt Clarkson is already well into getting a deal with a new company and that could well invlove Andy Wilman, James May and Richard Hammond. Who ever takes on Top Gear at the BBC is going to be faced with the expectation of attracting 5 1/2 million viewers at the same time as Clarksons new creation launches on a competing channel.

It all depends on the viewers. I think its safe to say that its pretty well divided - those who like seeing silly challenges and stunts and those who want a bit more traditional motoring covered. The news seems to focus on sports cars or more affordable ones that they can poke fun at.

After all, how much longer can they keep coming up with challenges and road trips?

I don't think there's a need to return to the days of Tony Mason reporting on rallying, Steve Berry on bikes and Quentin Willson being arrogant about some topic or other, but there should be some common ground to build something new.

The best bit for me was that he decided he had to come out of character, at the end, to explain himself. I don't recall Warren Mitchell coming out of character at the end of each episode of Till Death Do Us Part, or Ricky Gervais coming out of character at the end of his sketch for Comic Relief a few years ago (where he did his interviews "in Africa" in a UK studio). Jeremy Clarkson has started trying to explain himself, on occasions, recently, simply because of some people doing exactly what Stuart Lee is now accusing Mail on Sunday readers of doing. In that respect, Stuart Lee finished up satirizing his own typical audience.

My view of him ' coming out of character ' was that it was making a point and very much part of the act.

What he was saying was that some people enjoy Clarkson because they actually agree with him, they're not laughing at him they're laughing with him and agreeing with him.

These people aren't the brightest and Lee was satirising them.

You are correct that Warren Mitchell didn't try to explain what we were supposed to be laughing at as regards Alf Garnett, which may be why a considerable number of people were laughing with him rather than at him.

Edited by mjw47

Who ever takes over from Clarkson is likely to be picking up the poison chalice. No doubt Clarkson is already well into getting a deal with a new company and that could well invlove Andy Wilman, James May and Richard Hammond. Who ever takes on Top Gear at the BBC is going to be faced with the expectation of attracting 5 1/2 million viewers at the same time as Clarksons new creation launches on a competing channel.

I agree about the poisoned chalice. Chris Evans' name was being suggested on the news this morning. He's one of the few people who might stand a chance. But I hope he doesn't. If he or anyone else took over, then what direction would the show take?

If they all go (or even if just JC goes), then I think that the BBC should shelve it, until they are able to come up with a new formula - much like they did until the current format was offered to them. I think it would be a mistake to try and continue with the same format if they haven't got the current people dynamics. It would appear as a sort of Top Gear Lite. I remember 5th Gear trying a few silly ideas, obviously influenced by Top Gear's success. it just didn't work in the same way.

I for one will be glad when the beeb stop pussyfooting about....Lets get it over with, I really don't care one way or another....

But then I suppose this thread will continue with the inquest and differing opinions on what should have happened......Sigh