Clarkson suspended by the BBC

I agree about the poisoned chalice. Chris Evans' name was being suggested on the news this morning. He's one of the few people who might stand a chance. But I hope he doesn't. If he or anyone else took over, then what direction would the show take?

If they all go (or even if just JC goes), then I think that the BBC should shelve it, until they are able to come up with a new formula - much like they did until the current format was offered to them. I think it would be a mistake to try and continue with the same format if they haven't got the current people dynamics. It would appear as a sort of Top Gear Lite. I remember 5th Gear trying a few silly ideas, obviously influenced by Top Gear's success. it just didn't work in the same way.

It did occur to me that if the names being put forward were likely to succeed then one of the other channels would be employing them. The BBC probably can't afford to ditch top gear. 90% of its shows cost money. Top Gear brings in revenue of £50 million and is sold round the world with Clarkson, May and Hammond as its anchors.

My view of him ' coming out of character ' was that it was making a point and very much part of the act.

What he was saying was that some people enjoy Clarkson because they actually agree with him, they're not laughing at him they're laughing with him and agreeing with him.

These people aren't the brightest and Lee was satirising them.

You are correct that Warren Mitchell didn't try to explain what we were supposed to be laughing at as regards Alf Garnett, which may be why a considerable number of people were laughing with him rather than at him.

I agree that his coming out of character was part of the act, and why he did it. But as well as satirizing those who agree with Clarkson's view (and don't realize that JC is "in character"), there are those that don't agree with Clarkson's view (and also don't realize that he is "in character"). A Mail on Sunday reader thinking that Stuart Lee hopes that Clarkson's children go blind and die is not really any different from a Mirror reader (for want of a better stereotype) thinking that Jeremy Clarkson wants caravanners (or whoever) to die. Both have failed to understand "the joke". I put "joke" in quotation marks, as I certainly find neither idea funny, but I do understand that it was not was a serious wish by either entertainer.

---------- Post added 25-03-2015 at 10:58 ----------

I for one will be glad when the beeb stop pussyfooting about....Lets get it over with, I really don't care one way or another....

But then I suppose this thread will continue with the inquest and differing opinions on what should have happened......Sigh

I agree they should get on with. I watch Top Gear, but it would hardly be the end of the world if they get rid of JC and/or shelve it.

I'll probably still come back on here for the autopsy.

Edited by Eater Sundae

being reported now that BBC have just decided not to renew his contract

It is?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32048660

Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson says he "hasn't heard a thing", after press reports suggested the BBC would sack him on Wednesday.

The Daily Telegraph reported that the star would be dropped after an internal investigation concluded he had attacked a producer on the show.

It said director general Tony Hall would explain that such behaviour could not be tolerated at the BBC.

Clarkson tweeted a rebuttal of the story on Wednesday morning.

"Just to keep everyone up to date, I haven't heard a thing," he wrote, shortly before 10:00 GMT.

---------- Post added 25-03-2015 at 11:42 ----------

I agree they should get on with. I watch Top Gear, but it would hardly be the end of the world if they get rid of JC and/or shelve it.

Especially when a series would run for just four or five episodes then be off for 9 months.

Doesn't Top Gear bring the BBC like £150m from the worldwide syndication rights??

That money will start to dry up quickly if all the presenters leave, May and Hammond have already said they won't do the show without Clarkson.

Edited by geared

If this is the death of Top Gear, then it's 20 years too late.

Better late than never though, fingers crossed eh?

It's lost it's way as a TV programme anway. 10 years ago it was decent and a couple of the specials were ok, even if they could be deemed as offensive in some ways, but now it's just pants

Someone paid £100,00 to sit next to someone at a chairity auction. The world's gone mad!

The world going mad happened years ago I'm sure.

But the guy was probably willing to donate 100G to the charity anyway he just got a free lift around the track with JC as chauffer, that's all. No-one loses so where's the harm in that?