Clarkson suspended by the BBC

It looks like the custody battle didn't last very long: Top Gear’s The Stig to drive in BBC gameshow fronted by Dermot O’Leary.

---------- Post added 13-08-2015 at 15:00 ----------

I should point out that Top Gear is a globally watched program (apparently worth £50 million a year in TV sales, books and DVDs).

Those viewing figures have been because it has been on free to view channels. Amazon aren't going to match previous viewing figures for a subscription service show.

The real question is, how many new subscribers will it bring to Amazon Prime?

It looks like the custody battle didn't last very long: Top Gear’s The Stig to drive in BBC gameshow fronted by Dermot O’Leary.

---------- Post added 13-08-2015 at 15:00 ----------

Those viewing figures have been because it has been on free to view channels. Amazon aren't going to match previous viewing figures for a subscription service show.

The real question is, how many new subscribers will it bring to Amazon Prime?

I don't know (because I'm not well versed in these things)..But...I would assume Amazon will market it for sale across the globe, just like the Beeb did...It's just that Amazon Prime subscribers would get to see it first...But I have to say, I wouldn't myself take out a subscription based purely on catching the show on their first airing...It's not as though it's the sort of show that's time critical is it?

Amazon video/tv comes with a whole other bunch of amazon prime benefits of course. It's not just a tv subscription thing.

Yes I know Cyclone....I have it already....What I meant was that, the new program alone wouldn't convince me to take out a subscription...Obviously other factors have influenced my decision to have it...

I don't know (because I'm not well versed in these things)..But...I would assume Amazon will market it for sale across the globe, just like the Beeb did...It's just that Amazon Prime subscribers would get to see it first...But I have to say, I wouldn't myself take out a subscription based purely on catching the show on their first airing...It's not as though it's the sort of show that's time critical is it?

That's part of the problem for Amazon. If they sell the show to other broadcasters, they'll get money from those sales but reduce the number of new people who subscribe to their Prime service and so have less money from that.

In terms of revenue per viewer for Amazon, from most to least, it probably goes:

• People who will newly subscribe to Amazon Prime to get it.
  • People who would watch it on an existing subscription service they already subscribe to (such as Sky).
  • People who would watch it on a free to view channel.
  • People who wouldn't watch it or are already subscribed to Amazon Prime (even if they are die hard Clarkson fans in the case of the latter).

With no new revenue from the last category.

You said you wouldn't take out a subscription to watch in on first airing. Would you take out a subscription to watch it if that was the only way to ever see it? Buy the DVD's instead of subscribing if they are available?

<snipped>You said you wouldn't take out a subscription to watch in on first airing. Would you take out a subscription to watch it if that was the only way to ever see it? Buy the DVD's instead of subscribing if they are available?

No I wouldn't...It just happens that I've already got a subscription, but that's purely coincidental.

it is difficult to imagine how anyone could claim ownership of such a commodity, especially if you call him hannu and put him in red overalls.

The question was about ownership of the character 'The Stig' not of the concept of an anonymous driver in distinctive dress.

Having said that, if a copycat Stig was too close to the original there may be grounds for a legal complaint. I'm not a copyright lawyer so couldn't say how close would be too close.

Yes I know Cyclone....I have it already....What I meant was that, the new program alone wouldn't convince me to take out a subscription...Obviously other factors have influenced my decision to have it...

I'd imagine when the shows ready to stream Amazon will have a massive advertising blitz, to showcase all the advantages of prime (and Clarkson).

That's part of the problem for Amazon. If they sell the show to other broadcasters, they'll get money from those sales but reduce the number of new people who subscribe to their Prime service and so have less money from that.

The boost from the new show will only be short lived though, in 6-9 months time after it's released it won't really be bringing in that many new subscriptions.

At which point they can syndicate it off to TV channels across the world and rake in lots more money.

If new Chris Evans Top Gear doesn't do very well there will be even more of a market for new (old) style programs.

In terms of revenue per viewer for Amazon, from most to least, it probably goes:

• People who will newly subscribe to Amazon Prime to get it.
  • People who would watch it on an existing subscription service they already subscribe to (such as Sky).
  • People who would watch it on a free to view channel.
  • People who wouldn't watch it or are already subscribed to Amazon Prime (even if they are die hard Clarkson fans in the case of the latter).

With no new revenue from the last category.

You said you wouldn't take out a subscription to watch in on first airing. Would you take out a subscription to watch it if that was the only way to ever see it? Buy the DVD's instead of subscribing if they are available?

Amazon already have some of their shows shown on other TV channels, so it won't be setting a new precedent for them.