Queens Head Pub Attercliffe Road

Was the coach and horses the little pub with the Georgian windows the one directly opposite Staniforth Road.

Thank you Hillsbro', that was very concise and quick. Maybe they are included, but under a different name: the 'Lampool' and the Ward's pub that was on the corner of Weedon St. by the tram sheds? And the two opposite the bottom of Staniforth Road. was the Carlton one of them?

Edited by stpetre
addition

Yes I have been in there ,the pub I am trying to place is the one directly facing the traffic lights on Staniforth Road it is in a line of shops inc a cafe and is very small.
!

It has just come to me !!!!!! It is the Carlton a little pub with a no swearing sign on the bar and also full of proper Sheffielder's

Right folks - let's step into the time machine and travel back to 1964. Starting from Norfolk Bridge on the north side (odd numbers) of Attercliffe Road, here are the pubs we'll call in for a "swift half" in each:

387 Bulldog

471 Green Dragon

709 King's Head

851 Tram Car

ATTERCLIFFE COMMON

65 Hill Top Hotel

221 Amberley Hotel

229 File Smiths' Arms

617 Royal Hotel

651 Union Inn

Now go back to Norfolk Bridge and start on the south side of Attercliffe Road:

160 Norfolk Arms

380 Washford Arms

504 Sportsman

548 Robin Hood

638 Horse & Jockey

660 Queen's Head

732 Station Hotel

756 Coach & Horses

784 Travellers' Inn

822 Greyhound Inn

838 Golden Ball

ATTERCLIFFE COMMON

76-78 Old Gate Inn

126 Salutation Inn

342 Broughton Inn

372 Pheasant

A good thing we decided to give "H. Cunningham, beer retailer" at 24 Attercliffe Common a miss, or we'd all have been sozzled..:P

List of pubs as per the 1965 Kelly's Directory..:)

One or two missing on the north side. The Carlton (which has been mentioned), the Dog & Partridge and Carbrook Hall.

One or two missing on the north side. The Carlton (which has been mentioned), the Dog & Partridge and Carbrook Hall.

I think the Dog & Partridge is the one I was thinking about near the Carlton. Also to avoid any confusion as to 'north side' 'south side' I always referred to the all of Attercliffe Road/Common as 'Banner's side' or the 'other side from Banner's' if that helps.

I think the Dog & Partridge is the one I was thinking about near the Carlton. Also to avoid any confusion as to 'north side' 'south side' I always referred to the all of Attercliffe Road/Common as 'Banner's side' or the 'other side from Banner's' if that helps.

That's the one. Corner of Oakes Green and Attercliffe Road, the building is still there. It's been a Revue Bar and a, ahem, Gentlemen's Club. :)

Also the Victoria Hotel (corner of Sleaford Street) which for some reason isn't listed in the directory. All the same I have a hell of a hangover this morning..:sad:

Joan Lee who recently published a book "Behind Bars" about her life as an east end of Sheffield landlady at the age of 92 was landlady of the Dog and Partridge in the mid 50s. She is still around and can be seen having a quick G&T in the Handsworth and Horti WMCs.