Queens Head Pub Attercliffe Road

I had overlooked the Lambpool in the directory - it's shown at 291 Attercliffe Common (corner of Janson Street, opposite Carbrook school). Here is a link to a photo on the picturesheffield.com site. The pub closed in the early 1990s.Hi petcharlie - yes, No 100 is shown in a 1920s directory as "Sidney Grayson, tripe dealer", and by 1930 as ""Sidney Grayson, pie shop". I couldn't find any photos of No 100 on the picturesheffield.com site (the nearest being 90-94) though they have more photos in the Local Studies Library on Surrey Street. My mum, born in 1919, was also illegitimate though her parents "did the decent thing" and married when she was a few months old.

Thanks Hillsboro for your efforts.The problem with my mums situation was her mum was already married and she had an affair with a well known ice cream merchant.Can you imagine all that ---- hitting the fan in 1922.

• 1 year later...

My Late Nan was landlady of the Queens Head, with her partner.

May Simmons and David Simmons.

They were in charge in the early 90s this must have just been before it closed.

I was only only 12 at the time but remember a nice open bar area and pool room off to the side. Absolutely loved the early mornings in there with free pool! Bacon flavour fries from the bar and a shandy as well while growing up!

I remember sleeping over used to spook me out. Not sure if this was because you had the liveliness of the bar and then after closing just silence so every noise was a scary thing haha

• 4 years later...
On 11/03/2015 at 22:15, crookedspire said:

Not only the Queens been left to dereliction also the Travellers Inn further down Attercliffe Road . Faras ( Cutlers pub ) on Worksop Road has been sold and the steel boards removed from the windows, Britannia is been turned into flats, Station Hotel now reopened, across the road the Kings is now a Indian clothes shop , Buzz Stop Party Bar ( Sportsmen) is boarded up , Horse and Jockey is still closed but is for let , Bulldog now a massage parlour Attercliffe pubs have really thinned out now the Crooked Hat no idea if it is trading?

Just heard demolition of the Travellers starts tomorrow. 

• 2 weeks later...