On line consumer rights point

Recently bought a new tv after installing it we noticed it lacking in many areas such as slow response to the remote control etc, not exactly faulty but spoiling the experience.

After contacting the company by phone they said that because i had used the tv they could not refund my money but i could return it for 40% of the price i paid .

So i asked how could i evaluate the tv without using it,this was countered by silence and then a supervisor gave the same answer.

I all ways thought that mail order goods had some sort of built in returns policy laid down in law,the companies own policy seems a bit one sided to me.

Recently bought a new tv after installing it we noticed it lacking in many areas such as slow response to the remote control etc, not exactly faulty but spoiling the experience.

After contacting the company by phone they said that because i had used the tv they could not refund my money but i could return it for 40% of the price i paid .

So i asked how could i evaluate the tv without using it,this was countered by silence and then a supervisor gave the same answer.

I all ways thought that mail order goods had some sort of built in returns policy laid down in law,the companies own policy seems a bit one sided to me.

You have the same consumer rights than buying from a shop. Speak to company again and stress that you will be contacting trading standards if your complaint cant be addressed.

You have the same consumer rights than buying from a shop. Speak to company again and stress that you will be contacting trading standards if your complaint cant be addressed.

If you paid on your credit card, there's away of getting your money back if item is not as described. I think you have to contact the credit card company, there's a similar thing on debit cards, but banks try and say there isn't. Think the debit card scheme is the chargeback scheme, not sure about the credit card, but think its section 75 of sales of goods act.

It is section 75, its for both credit and debit.card transactions.

Edited by sheff1johnny

So is the product faulty?

If so then this is not a problem to get a refund.

Is it that your not happy with the features?

If so do they not meet what is described because if that the case then you can request refund, but if it is on the way that I read it, your simply not happy with the way the product performs, but is not faulty, then in this case you have no come back and any offer would be at company discretion.

It is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure the product you are purchasing meets your demands.

Unfortunately if I have read it correctly you have no come back I'm afraid

So is the product faulty?

If so then this is not a problem to get a refund.

Is it that your not happy with the features?

If so do they not meet what is described because if that the case then you can request refund, but if it is on the way that I read it, your simply not happy with the way the product performs, but is not faulty, then in this case you have no come back and any offer would be at company discretion.

It is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure the product you are purchasing meets your demands.

Unfortunately if I have read it correctly you have no come back I'm afraid

It doesn't work as it should therefore it is faulty and the SOGA act can be used

The pertinant point is

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 goods must be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.

He feels it is not fit for purpose

Copied from Narden link.

If you receive faulty goods and wish to return them, The Consumer Contracts Regulations are in addition to your other legal rights.

So, if your goods are faulty and don’t do what they're supposed to, or don’t match the description given, you have the same consumer rights under the Sale of Goods Act as you have when buying in store.

Any terms and conditions that say you must cover the cost of returning an item wouldn’t apply where the goods being returned are faulty.

The tv isn't fit for the purpose you need it for.

Which retailer is it?

I'm quite certain Sale of goods does not cover the buyr not liking the products features.

I'm not happy with the stop start on my new VW, it doesn't mean i can return the car as faulty.

If the remote turns on the tv then it performs exactly as it should,unless it states somewhere that it should do it in a specific time.