My room 101 - Sports cars

I seem to be coming across this more recently, people (more often women but men too) driving expensive sports cars - really slowly!

Anything from beautiful Mercedes 2 seater AMG's, to Audi R8's and anything inbetween.

Doing things like 30mph in 50mph zones, hogging motorway middles lanes or driving in the fast lane for long periods of time but not fast enough to overtake anything. Is there some sort of mental block these cars come with that stop their drivers recognising how daft this is? Or perhaps because the cars are so powerful the drivers are too scared to put their foot down and use the power they've bought into?

This morning I was behind a Peugeot RCZ that was behind an HGV approaching a dual carriageway, the woman driving (I could tell it was a woman by the way she was constantly flicking her hair, plus I saw her afterwards when I went past her) pulls out to overtake as do I behind her and then she just stayed there parallel to the HGV for ages before gradually speeding up and eventually pulling back in front of it. Enabling me to get past her and zoom off into the distance - in my little Aygo! :suspect:

I think the government need to introduce a new law, whereby if you overtake a powerful sports car in a little low powered car - then the sports car owner is legally obliged to swap cars with you. That way, all drivers will eventually end up in cars that match their abilities! :D

I seem to be coming across this more recently, people (more often women but men too) driving expensive sports cars - really slowly!
They're probably all on lease, can't risk actually driving them or the agreed residual value might suffer...or their drivers might think that driving slower doesn't clock as many miles :hihi:

The ability to thrash an aygo past a slower moving vehicle doesn't mean your ability is matched to that car��

You are right there, but if that slower moving car is a lot more powerful then I'd be better using that more powerful car to go faster than to thrash my poor Aygo - whereas the slower moving driver would be better suited to my Aygo that wouldn't then be thrashed in their hands! :D

I would assume that a powerful sports car would be pretty expensive to insure. It then follows that in order to make the insurance cheaper (to a degree), there are some insurance companies that fit a 'black box' type gizmo in the car, which monitors the drivers speed, braking, cornering...etc

Maybe...Just maybe...that might explain some of the instances you describe.

You are right there, but if that slower moving car is a lot more powerful then I'd be better using that more powerful car to go faster than to thrash my poor Aygo - whereas the slower moving driver would be better suited to my Aygo that wouldn't then be thrashed in their hands! :D
Just a suggestion to solve your quandary: buy your own sportscar :D

I think the answer here is: You get terrible drivers in every sort of car.

I was watching some episodes of a Dutch road-policing program the other night and there was a fella with a Ferrari 480 driving 90 in the outer lane where 120 was the max, bobbing left to right in the lane, nearly driving into a lorry that he was overtaking at some point.

Police pulled him over thinking he was on his phone. Nope, he was watching a film on his built-in DVD player...

Just a suggestion to solve your quandary: buy your own sportscar :D

I wish! :hihi: Sadly finances pose a slight hurdle on this one these days...

I used to have a Mazda MPS and Caterham Super7 years ago, brilliant cars and amazingly fast in their own right. However one was rather heavy in the pocket and the other not a terribly suitable family car!

Anything from beautiful Mercedes 2 seater AMG's, to Audi R8's and anything inbetween.

Doing things like 30mph in 50mph zones, hogging motorway middles lanes or driving in the fast lane for long periods of time but not fast enough to overtake anything. Is there some sort of mental block these cars come with that stop their drivers recognising how daft this is? Or perhaps because the cars are so powerful the drivers are too scared to put their foot down and use the power they've bought into?

This morning I was behind a Peugeot RCZ that was behind an HGV approaching a dual carriageway, the woman driving (I could tell it was a woman by the way she was constantly flicking her hair, plus I saw her afterwards when I went past her) pulls out to overtake as do I behind her and then she just stayed there parallel to the HGV for ages before gradually speeding up and eventually pulling back in front of it. Enabling me to get past her and zoom off into the distance - in my little Aygo! :suspect:

I think the government need to introduce a new law, whereby if you overtake a powerful sports car in a little low powered car - then the sports car owner is legally obliged to swap cars with you. That way, all drivers will eventually end up in cars that match their abilities! :D

I think you've probably missed the purpose of speed limits. They are a maximum speed not a minimum. So when I go out into Derbyshire I don't feel the need to drive on the limit. The law allows me to drive along and enjoy the scenery. All the better if you have a convertible.

The point is that folk with expensive sports cars probably don't need to get anywhere in a hurry. It is the other folk that are rushing to be at the meeting on time, not them.

I think the answer here is: You get terrible drivers in every sort of car.

I was watching some episodes of a Dutch road-policing program the other night and there was a fella with a Ferrari 480 driving 90 in the outer lane where 120 was the max, bobbing left to right in the lane, nearly driving into a lorry that he was overtaking at some point.

Police pulled him over thinking he was on his phone. Nope, he was watching a film on his built-in DVD player...

Talking of which...(sorry slightly off topic)....I see the latest advert for the new Mercedes 'E' class (or something like that) boast that it's got built in internet access....For the driver?....That can't be right surely?