Daft clause in dla letter

Having read my dla letter, it states

I must inform them if I go to prison, and if paid by cheque, I must send the chequer, back straight away.

1. Would I waste the credit, trying to inform dwp, I am in prison?

2. How could I send any chequers back if I were locked up?

Surely it would make more sense for the police to inform them.

I must inform them if I go to prison, and if paid by cheque, I must send the chequer, back straight away.

The police don't know what benefits everyone that gets sent to klink gets...

The police don't know what benefits everyone that gets sent to klink gets...

Good point, but why don't the police just ring DWP, or email them with the persons name, and date of birth. I am saying how can the inmate do this. The dwp could look if said person receives any benefits and stop them.

Because they are the Claimant of the benefit and it is their responsibility to keep them informed of any changes. They have the ability to communicate from Prison. They will have someone on the outside who will be able to obtain/confirm any necessary information. Its for them to sort out.

Its not the police's job.

Because they are the Claimant of the benefit and it is their responsibility to keep them informed of any changes. They have the ability to communicate from Prison. They will have someone on the outside who will be able to obtain/confirm any necessary information. Its for them to sort out.

Its not the police's job.

Not everyone in prison has some one. What if they live on their own?

It is the claimants job, but how can they inform the dwp from behind bars. Would the dwp let someone speak on your behalf without your verbal consent?

Maybe the prison should inform the dwp. Can you imagine the other prisoners being happy waiting ages whilst a person tries to cancel their claim. There all waiting to ring their loved ones, and dwp, keeping claimant on hold while they sign said claimant off benefits.

Not everyone in prison has some one. What if they live on their own?

It is the claimants job, but how can they inform the dwp from behind bars. Would the dwp let someone speak on your behalf without your verbal consent?

Maybe the prison should inform the dwp. Can you imagine the other prisoners being happy waiting ages whilst a person tries to cancel their claim. There all waiting to ring their loved ones, and dwp, keeping claimant on hold while they sign said claimant off benefits.

Ah diddums. So police and prison staff should be responsible for a Claimant's benefits affairs after THEY get arrested and THEY get sentenced to make sure THEY don't fall foul of the terms and conditions. Should they also cancel the milk, inform the landlord, check on their bank account, house sit and feed the cat?

See a recurring theme here. How about THEY take some responsibility. They got into trouble and they got sentenced. Their problem. Its not impossible to make a phone call to the DWP. Its not impossible to send and receive correspondence from the Prison.

Why are you trying to pass the buck onto somebody else.

Edited by ECCOnoob

When you were sent to prison, you were given a form to fill in with all your details. This was then sent to the DHSS, and you were signed off - the same form was also used to claim housing benefit for upto 1 year.

Dont know if its changed now though...

Sorry to hear that you will be having a rest in one of the Queen's hotels but I am pleased that you know to inform the DWP of your change of circumstances. Try not to get in with a bad lot while inside, I hope the spell inside will do you some good and will give you some time to reflect on your former bad ways.

Ah diddums. So police and prison staff should be responsible for a Claimant's benefits affairs after THEY get arrested and THEY get sentenced to make sure THEY don't fall foul of the terms and conditions. Should they also cancel the milk, inform the landlord, check on their bank account, house sit and feed the cat?

See a recurring theme here. How about THEY take some responsibility. They got into trouble and they got sentenced. Their problem. Its not impossible to make a phone call to the DWP. Its not impossible to send and receive correspondence from the Prison.

Why are you trying to pass the buck onto somebody else.

Have you ever considered that it may save money in the long run, relying on inmates to do the right thing sounds like a good idea(really does) I am saying that somebody needs to inform the DWP. The chequers sent out could also be cashed, by other family members, or they could use the inmates credit card. Of course the claimant can not be done for theft, as they were in prison when the money was taken. So more money wasted, which could have easily been saved.

---------- Post added 13-03-2015 at 00:32 ----------

Sorry to hear that you will be having a rest in one of the Queen's hotels but I am pleased that you know to inform the DWP of your change of circumstances. Try not to get in with a bad lot while inside, I hope the spell inside will do you some good and will give you some time to reflect on your former bad ways.

I was speaking hypothetically, but thanks for the concern.