Driving route help/advice

Just wondering if anyone who drives down south can give me a bit of advice.

I can use the Tomtom to get me there, but I want to get a bit of human advice.

I'm going to South London soon, and looking at different route possibilities.

I'm going to Beckenham. I think the satnav will take me anti-clockwise around M25 to somewhere around junc8.

It looks like a possible alternative is come off at somewhere like Leatherhead, then cut across Epsom/Croyden/Sutton, but since I've heard of them, they might be busy!

Anyone do this or close to this journey have any advice of where to avoid please?

(edit, would be a weekend)

Unless you're going in the middle of the night then there's no easy way round. Personally I would go A1 - A14 - M11 - M25 - A232. A sat nav would probably take you straight down the M1 onto the M25 but I find the A1 - M11 route doesn't get quite as congested most of the time.

Unless you're going in the middle of the night then there's no easy way round. Personally I would go A1 - A14 - M11 - M25 - A232. A sat nav would probably take you straight down the M1 onto the M25 but I find the A1 - M11 route doesn't get quite as congested most of the time.

Thanks for all the responses,

AMR,

I think I may take this option. All the other links try to force me through London, which I'd rather avoid.

I'm not a big fan of the A1, I find it more tiring. It does looks quicker time wise though.

I've also never been around the east side of the M25 so I'm not sure of that part either.

Thanks for all the responses,

AMR,

I think I may take this option. All the other links try to force me through London, which I'd rather avoid.

I'm not a big fan of the A1, I find it more tiring. It does looks quicker time wise though.

I've also never been around the east side of the M25 so I'm not sure of that part either.

If you're going down around the m25, defintatly go down the m11. The m25 along the top from the m1 jct eastwards can be awful. That said the m25 can awful full stop so if you can avoid spending much time on it, do so. Plus lots of smart motorway upgrades going on the m1.

The only caveat is if you're driving something like a big van some of those bridges and tunnels across the Thames have some odd and often badly sign posted weight and width restrictions.

I'd suggest M1 to J23a take the A42/M42 pick up the M40 straight to the M25. Come off the M25 J8 (I think) M23 towards london, then follow sat nav to address. At weekend this is the route I would follow.

A bit longer in miles but easier and more relaxing to drive, plus there are more options for diversions should there be any incidents along the way ;)

HGV driver and time is of the essence on occasions.

If you're going down around the m25, defintatly go down the m11. The m25 along the top from the m1 jct eastwards can be awful. That said the m25 can awful full stop so if you can avoid spending much time on it, do so. Plus lots of smart motorway upgrades going on the m1.

The only caveat is if you're driving something like a big van some of those bridges and tunnels across the Thames have some odd and often badly sign posted weight and width restrictions.

What he said - that's the way I always go down / come back from the chunnel. Keeps M25 usage to minimum. Did it three weeks ago on a short break to France - roadwork and hassle free compared to M1.

From there M25 J4 A21/A232 looks the best bet and likely to be carrying least traffic (based on it carrying only local traffic rather than say A2 & A20 which are main routes in from Kent).

If going that way you need to check out the "Dartcharge" website for paying for the Dartford Crossing.

https://www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge

Edited by Longcol

I'd suggest M1 to J23a take the A42/M42 pick up the M40 straight to the M25. Come off the M25 J8 (I think) M23 towards london, then follow sat nav to address. At weekend this is the route I would follow.

A bit longer in miles but easier and more relaxing to drive, plus there are more options for diversions should there be any incidents along the way ;)

HGV driver and time is of the essence on occasions.

The M40 route is a good one. My Dad was a Londoner and always used to go M25 to Sutton/Croydon. The A41 is a good route to the M25 (dual carriageway south of Aylesbury) but you have to go through Aylesbury :gag:. If you fancy a picturesque route the A413 from Silverstone to Aylesbury is one of the best (and sadly most dangerous) driving routes in the country.

Personally unless it's an F1 weekend I'd get off the M1 at 15 a and take the A43 all the way to the M40. The 43 is a modern dual carriageway the whole way between the two motorways.

Using an app called Waze is the best way to avoid traffic.