Driving route help/advice

The M40 route is a good one. My Dad was a Londoner and always used to go M25 to Sutton/Croydon. The A41 is a good route to the M25 (dual carriageway south of Aylesbury) but you have to go through Aylesbury :gag:. If you fancy a picturesque route the A413 from Silverstone to Aylesbury is one of the best (and sadly most dangerous) driving routes in the country.

Personally unless it's an F1 weekend I'd get off the M1 at 15 a and take the A43 all the way to the M40. The 43 is a modern dual carriageway the whole way between the two motorways.

Using an app called Waze is the best way to avoid traffic.

Roadworks on the a43 and m40 gumming up the works a bit at a couple of weeks ago.

Roadworks on the a43 and m40 gumming up the works a bit at a couple of weeks ago.

And the stretch of the M42 with the "variable" speed limit seems to invariably be 50mph if going M1, A42, M42 to the M40.

Edited by Longcol

Haven't driven the M40 since last year but it's generally a good route, roadworks aside.

A43 was pig a few weeks ago and they were in the process of setting up yellow cameras (so big roadworks and 50mph speed limits) which I believe have started. To top that off traffic going on and off A34 can be a nightmare too. Everywhere has roadworks at the moment - never known it as bad.

At a weekend I'd throw caution to the find and actually go direct. A1 then M11 is a nice fast route, just follow it all the way down until you hit the North Circular. The side by Ilford is fast and doesnt block up. Get down to the Bow road, go into town - again a good fast route and at Poplar turn off and take the Blackwall tunnel. This is where it will get a little slow - but once under the river you are already within a spitting distance of Beckenham and a fair bit of the journey is still on fastish dual carriageway roads past Greenwich.

It takes you over a couple of slow patches but you wont spend ages and ages circling London to come in from the other side - and there are no fast routes in from the south end of the M25 through Croydon.