Grease for a CV joint

• 3 weeks later...
Packing a worn joint? No offence but if your doing that what other bodge jobs have you done on your car?

Two wooden pistons (oak), gearbox oil in the sump, sawdust in the gearbox, replace the fuel injection system with an electric fuel pump and a carburettor, bypass the ignition electronics, Radweld in the radiator, Gun Gum on the silencer, recut treads on tyres, wind back the clock, file the cylinder head flat(tish), and not using chicken wire in sills but use instead the new high tech expanding foam and plaster. Wonderful stuff. Rub down rusty bodywork and fill with resin before painting. There. Do you still reckon I'm a bodger? Rubbish! You can buy my car for £1500 if you're interested. I forgot to add that the gearbox was noisy so I put saw dust in the oil. Worked wonders! Thanks everyone for your suggestions. What's an EML/ABS bulb anyway? I changed the headlamps years ago to a couple I've had in the garage since 1949.

Edited by woolyhead

"Gun Gum on the silencer" LOL takes me back!

---------- Post added 04-04-2015 at 02:02 ----------

"What sort of grease is suitable for packing a worn CV joint on a car?

Answer NONE. Change them!

---------- Post added 04-04-2015 at 02:07 ----------

No disrespect but to ask that question tells me you are a bodger!

---------- Post added 04-04-2015 at 02:10 ----------

My wheel is wobbling all over the place. Can anyone recommend the best chewing gum to stop the wheel wobbling?

---------- Post added 04-04-2015 at 02:13 ----------

Forget ball joint, cv joint, wheel nuts, Chewing gum will do. Will spearmint do it? I hear huba buba is best!

Edited by briant33

Bodger, me? Never! When I repair something it stays repaired all the way to the scrap yard. I once had a Fiat 128 with a very noisy wheel bearing so I decided to change it. The trouble was that during manufacture it had been shrink fitted into the hub and secured with a circlip. The edge of the hub was then peened over the bearing. Thinking I could turn the peening out on a lathe and expand the hub with heat I removed the circlip and lit the torch. The old bearing came out ok so I noted its type number and bought a new one, which I inserted in the same way Fiat had done ie I heated the hub and forced the bearing in with a 3 ton press, put the circlip back and peened over the hub's edge. Nothing could go wrong, could it? But it did. The wheel fell off because believe it or not the circlip came loose and the bearing pushed the peening out of the way and came out from the hub. I can't think of a better way to replace a wheel bearing than what I'd done but it failed. Maybe if I'd welded the bearing outer shell to the hub?

Edited by woolyhead

I can tell this is going to turn into a "best bodge" thread....

I once had the (mis)fortune to drive an Capri laser. Horrible car, total nightmare in the snow. The real fun came when swapping the rear suspension... leaves off, undo the top bolt for the shock... er wheres the bolt head? Not in the boot... um....

Looking up the strut, the shock had been fitted into a large block of... cement.

One phone call to the previous owner - how the blazes had he mortared it in, why, and how did it not run out.

The top area had rusted. So he turned the shell upside down (as you do) and stuck the shocks in with a bit of quick set Portland cement. As you do.

It explained the curious dents on the roof at least.

Hi Obelix. Yes what a bodge! I once bought a Ford Zephyr Estate which had some rust around the bonnet-hinge fixings so I started grinding it out only to discover that it went right through and was far more widespread than it had appeared at first. There were other things wrong with the motor too. I fitted Cords piston rings to cut down the oil consumption and cleaned the valve gear up a bit, after which the engine ran quite well. But the rusty flitch plate had me worried. Suppose the front McPherson came right through? Eventually I sold the car to a guy on the phone who out to be a massive body builder. I told him all about the car's problems, too. But he still bought it. A few weeks later he came back and told me that the bonnet had come undone during his holiday in Cornwall and had opened and blown right over the roof. Luckily for him a police car came up and held up the traffic while he recovered the bonnet from the busy main road and he put it in the back. He wanted to know if I would replace it for him if he paid me for the work. I deferred. That hadn't been my work I hasten to add. I bought it in that state.