Dear Forum.. I am being harrassed

OK, say you're a regular poster on the forum and well known as a forummer. You have something personal/sensitive that you want to post that you don't want the people you regularly debate with to know is from you. That's where 'Dear Forum' comes in.

I suppose so. But invariably with 'personal' stuff, asking anonymously for help on a forum is rarely going to produce practical solutions. Only the OP (or those close to them) can decide what to do for the best.

I suppose so. But invariably with 'personal' stuff, asking anonymously for help on a forum is rarely going to produce practical solutions. Only the OP (or those close to them) can decide what to do for the best.

Perhaps. But unless the forum have more info how can anyone help. other than embarrassment telling a family member what is going on they use the forum, Family / Friends They may not be in the best position to give advice. Unless a family or friend has experienced, physical violence / sexual abuse etc they can not be in a position to give the best advice. Without information from the OP, I don’t think anyone can really give advice on this forum. All we do know is the police are doing nothing about it.

Perhaps. But unless the forum have more info how can anyone help. other than embarrassment telling a family member what is going on they use the forum, Family / Friends They may not be in the best position to give advice. Unless a family or friend has experienced, physical violence / sexual abuse etc they can not be in a position to give the best advice. Without information from the OP, I don’t think anyone can really give advice on this forum. All we do know is the police are doing nothing about it.

That's the thing with "Dear Forum" It's all allegedly, you/we know nothing other than what you/we read. You can't even be sure the OP is genuine or one of our more needy posters craving more attention. When it comes to SF cynicism I'm afraid gets the better of me, so personally I just treat them as scenarios as I do with most personal orientated threads.

I do agree the information given is lacking in detail to be giving any advice other than log everything, or a mutual friend/family/acquaintance to act as mediator.

That's the thing with "Dear Forum" It's all allegedly, you/we know nothing other than what you/we read. You can't even be sure the OP is genuine or one of our more needy posters craving more attention. When it comes to SF cynicism I'm afraid gets the better of me, so personally I just treat them as scenarios as I do with most personal orientated threads.

I do agree the information given is lacking in detail to be giving any advice other than log everything, or a mutual friend/family/acquaintance to act as mediator.

I agree 100% My friend. I always worry >>> Is it attention seeking / Or a genuine need for help. I guess we have two option. The OP is seeking attention?!?! Or the lack of response could mean we read in the papers tomorrow she has passed away. !!!!!! No matter what . Anyone in need of help should get it

---------- Post added 14-03-2015 at 01:51 ----------

If you feel you are in any danger , PM me and I will give you my phone number. If need be I will make sure you are safe.

Edited by suggz

I agree 100% My friend. I always worry >>> Is it attention seeking / Or a genuine need for help. I guess we have two option. The OP is seeking attention?!?! Or the lack of response could mean we read in the papers tomorrow she has passed away. !!!!!! No matter what . Anyone in need of help should get it

---------- Post added 14-03-2015 at 01:51 ----------

If you feel you are in any danger , PM me and I will give you my phone number. If need be I will make sure you are safe.

The lack of response with a Dear Forum post is unavoidable. Unless the person posts in his/her usual (probably instantly recognisable) pseudonym.

The way it works is, a user will contact admin or a mod, and ask for the post to be posted as a 'Dear Forum' (anonymous) post. The mod will be asked to post specific text. It's not modified or changed in any way. It will be verbatim, as the user requests. Therefore any response within the course of the ensuing conversation isn't possible by the user, as they have no access to the account.

I suppose it might be feasible for them to again contact a mod or admin to add a post to clarify certain points asked, but all mods and admins volunteer their time in doing the job and may not be available, or simply have lives of their own.

Hope that clarifies the position.

Oh, and just as an addendum. Admins and mods are not allowed to inform or discuss requests for Dear Forum requests with other mods or admin. So as to maximise the anonymity of the post.

Edited by PeteMorris

dear forum

i am being harassed by someone and they will not stop.

i have contacted the police but this person is making lies up so it looks like we are retaliating when we are not.

how do i get this to stop?

I certainly wouldn't advise giving out your number or any personal contact information to a stranger, even if they offer you theirs first,

The lack of response with a Dear Forum post is unavoidable. Unless the person posts in his/her usual (probably instantly recognisable) pseudonym.

The way it works is, a user will contact admin or a mod, and ask for the post to be posted as a 'Dear Forum' (anonymous) post. The mod will be asked to post specific text. It's not modified or changed in any way. It will be verbatim, as the user requests. Therefore any response within the course of the ensuing conversation isn't possible by the user, as they have no access to the account.

I suppose it might be feasible for them to again contact a mod or admin to add a post to clarify certain points asked, but all mods and admins volunteer their time in doing the job and may not be available, or simply have lives of their own.

Hope that clarifies the position.

To be honest, it looks like a bit of a clunky system. It's better than nothing of course, but there being no possibility of dialog with the OP (of any DearForum thread) is kind of limiting.

Why not allow an individual, on request (and according to need and merit) the sole use of a temporary annonymous account (DearForum-000/DearForum-001/DearForum-002 etc).

That could be better; then again, I can imagine there's an extra layer of protection with the post going via a mod. For example, it's a safety net against a DearForum user posting anything inappropriate or that may make matters worse for themselves. Also, there's bound to be manifold legal issues too.