Looking for some friendly plumbing advice..

Sometime odd is happening, that may be a clue to where the fault lies...

I have the shower mixer set to 100% cold. Then turn the tap on to allow cold water to flow out of the shower. It comes through at a good pressure, for about 40 seconds, then loses pressure, until it's eventually a dribble.

I then turn the tap on the shower off. If I turn it immediately back on, there is still no flow. However, if I was 10 minutes, then turn it back on again, I get another 40 seconds of cold water through the shower at a good rate of flow.

If I turn it off, then wait another 10 minutes; same thing again, I get good cold water flow for 40 seconds.

Does this indicate it's not an issue with the mixer unit / filter?

Sometime odd is happening, that may be a clue to where the fault lies...

I have the shower mixer set to 100% cold. Then turn the tap on to allow cold water to flow out of the shower. It comes through at a good pressure, for about 40 seconds, then loses pressure, until it's eventually a dribble.

I then turn the tap on the shower off. If I turn it immediately back on, there is still no flow. However, if I was 10 minutes, then turn it back on again, I get another 40 seconds of cold water through the shower at a good rate of flow.

If I turn it off, then wait another 10 minutes; same thing again, I get good cold water flow for 40 seconds.

Does this indicate it's not an issue with the mixer unit / filter?

Sounds like the tank is filling the immersion slowly (sludged pipe maybe?)

How full is the header tank? Are you having the same problem with any other taps regards flow?

If you have a plunger try placing it over the outlet in the tank and plunge it a few times (make sure the tank is full as this will increase pressure on the blocked pipe)...open the tap over the bath while doing so.

If it's an airlock try connecting a hot and cold tap via a bit of hose and open both taps. Obviously the cold must be mains pressure not tank fed.

Edited by ronthenekred

Oooops!!

I've just tried fitting the new float valve in the main tank in the loft, and had a bit of a disaster. I couldn't correctly unscrew the old one, and it kind of half came off, but some of it was attached still, and so unable to completely remove it from the water pipe that feeds the tank.

So, had to keep the water turned off, and re-fit the old one; which is somewhat damaged, and letting water through a lot more than it should.

Need an experienced person to come and remove the old float valve, and fit a new one, ASAP really. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: Have fixed it now (with someone's help).

Edited by Waldo