Driving after having a full left hip replacement

I would think that there are very few people who are on IV opioids that meet the general criteria of being fit to drive in other ways. I'm not talking about those people though- I'm talking about people who are out in the community and who live their life with the help of a regime of painkillers.

These people are managed and stable on their regular medication, and they are used to living around the side effects of their medication, like I am. Self-selecting to go out only in the times when the medication is not affecting their thinking or actions is normal for many.

BTW, if you were to try to give me an IV dose of opioids you'd find that I projectile vomit for about an hour on 1mg of morphine, extending up to about 12 hours for a dose of tramadol. I've since had several operations including a hysterectomy with no IV painkillers at all in order to avoid that particular nightmare.

I drive an automatic, and had foot surgery last year, I was told not to drive for two weeks, ( had to sit for the first two weeks, after that I had a 'sexy boot' for another four, I did drive with that but I only use my right foot. I had a steroid injection in my left and was told not to drive just for that day. I wouldn't risk it. if |I were you.

I would think that there are very few people who are on IV opioids that meet the general criteria of being fit to drive in other ways. I'm not talking about those people though- I'm talking about people who are out in the community and who live their life with the help of a regime of painkillers.

These people are managed and stable on their regular medication, and they are used to living around the side effects of their medication, like I am. Self-selecting to go out only in the times when the medication is not affecting their thinking or actions is normal for many.

BTW, if you were to try to give me an IV dose of opioids you'd find that I projectile vomit for about an hour on 1mg of morphine, extending up to about 12 hours for a dose of tramadol. I've since had several operations including a hysterectomy with no IV painkillers at all in order to avoid that particular nightmare.

I'm sorry if I've confused matters a little. I was talking about patients with chronic pain receiving opioids for acute pain, and the challenges that the chronic pain bring.

My aim was to put into context my previous comments on this thread, namely undoubtably patients who have been on opioids for chronic pain for a decent period of time, will generally need higher doses of opioids for acute pain, on top of whatever opioid regime that they may already be on.

Also in my experience if you look back through a patients history with chronic pain, you often see doses of opioid drugs being increased over a period of time, for cancer and non cancer patients. Although there is no evidence that suggests that this may happen for patients receiving opioids for acute pain.

I am also well aware of your health trials and tribulations, and you have my admiration for being able to meet the challenges that have been presented your way and keep moving forward. Rest assured that I would not blindly give anyone any medication without knowing their past medical history and drug allergies, sensitivities and interactions.