Local knuckle heads

dennis hobson owned a scrap yard on manor lane, more recently was the landlord of the frecheville hotel i knew dennis from the pubs my father used to run, I also knew ray morgan very well his eldest son mick used to have the mediteranean restaurant on sharowvale road hes still a chef in the restaurant game but not sure where now his younger son raymond joined the navy,

ray lived for quite a while on erskine road arbourthorne ( just round the corner from one of his sparring partners another character gerald scarface mullen ) he now lives in linconshire where he took a pub , but i dont believe he has it now ,

I`ve seen many so called big hitters pay the price for underestimating both of these blokes but to me they were always spot on I never saw either man start a fight only finish it

ps ray morgan now lives on a boat in linconshire

Holberry,

Thanks for the interesting post there. I have heard so much, over the years, about these characters. I wonder if they realise just how much a part of Sheffield folklore they have become?

• 2 months later...

I was working on a Gleesons site at Greenhill back in the 50's, and Denis was working with the roofers there. In those days they carried the tiles up to the roof balanced on their heads, on a 'ring'. He was the best I've ever seen, 25 to 30 tiles, no problem, neck like a bull. And he could keep going. I tried it on with his sister once, trying to get her drunk, somebody whispered in my ear who she was, so I gave up on the idea.

Still on the subject of Sheffield 'hardmen', who remembers 'Jiggers'. Everytime I'd see this kid he was rolling around the dance floor punching and cursing like nobody's business. He always seemed to dress smart but always wore a 'choker', a kind of kerchief favored by 'barrerlads'. He always frequented the dances at Glossop Road Baths. And what about Mick Cowan. If I remember right he was rated in 'Boxing News' at one time.

• 2 years later...
Still on the subject of Sheffield 'hardmen', who remembers 'Jiggers'. Everytime I'd see this kid he was rolling around the dance floor punching and cursing like nobody's business. He always seemed to dress smart but always wore a 'choker', a kind of kerchief favored by 'barrerlads'. He always frequented the dances at Glossop Road Baths. And what about Mick Cowan. If I remember right he was rated in 'Boxing News' at one time.

Jiggers still dresses like that, he visits his mate near me.