Can anyone remember the Don Bakery

PopT

Hi PopT I remember it very well,I posted recently about the Don Bakery W A Brooms!.I started as a van boy in 1959 after which they paid for driving lessons

and trained me as a wholesale driver salesman which I continued as for 40yrs with different bakeries ending up at Fletchers!.I enjoyed the 4 years with them ending when Newboulds part of Sunblest bought them out,the Don was a family business everyone got on well together and I made a lot of friends there especially some attractive females both in the office and the confectionary department but that's another story!.We finished every day at lunch time which the salesmen spent in the Old Blue Ball or the Shaky,then up to the snooker hall in the White Buildings at Hillsborough Corner!.In the summer every Wednesday a crowd of 10 or so of us took off to Hathersage open air swimming baths which was full of yummy mummies we stayed until teatime then back home!,we never had a care in those days most of us were single and enjoyed every day at work and play!.:banana:

Do you remember Myrna Loy?

Do you remember Myrna Loy?

The name rings a bell but truthfully no,some names I do remember-Sales Manager Kirk Jennings,supervisers Roy Morrell,Harry Williams,Arnold Taylor ,Salesmen-Jeff Shaw,Paul Patchet,Grahmn Nuttal,Harry Marshall,Arthur Henderson,lots more faces I remember but not the names!,it was nearly sixty years ago!.Despatch foreman Len Wade who thought the firm belonged to him personaly,Garage boss Mr Skinner who told his secretary Vicky Burgin that I was a wrong un and not to bother with me,well he failed on that one!.Another salesman Tommy Magolrick just remembered!.In the confectionary despatch one of the workman there was a Scotchman who was of the other persuasion vanboys hadto becareful,he was always creepy offering fags and trying to butter the lads up,some played him along for free cigs then scarpered before he could get his mitts on them!.Another salesman recalled Derek Sarson he was a bit of a lad who one day without a word to anyone took his two sons and disappeard,I remember his wife crying to Kirk in the office asking where he was but he didn,t know he had just took off,we heard a couple of years later he was running a market stall with his lads somewhere in Lancashire!.Thats all I can think of at the moment,maybe more will come to mind later!.:huh:

---------- Post added 18-12-2017 at 10:12 ----------

Another salesman remembered Dennis Earnshaw,he was the double of Charles Degaule the old French President,I remember one morning him knocking down a lady at the bottom of Hawksley Avenue in his car going to work,luckily she survived unhurt!.Funny how things you had long forgotten come back out of the blue!.