Home dentistry advice please ..

I was going to call this thread 'D.I.Y dentistry', but to me that has the subtle undertones of inept amateurishness … a concept that I don't entertain in any way, shape or form. Hence the much more professional term 'Home dentistry' ... a phrase I shall use throughout.

Basically, my teeth are really rotten and I haven't been to the dentist in years (due mainly to their D.I.Y style of approach). However, now, due to constant pain (not to mention swelling and bleeding), and the fact that I now only have one more emergency back up course of antibiotics at my disposal (unused from a separate 'near death' ailment some years ago), I feel something has to be done about it.

Unlike a dentist, I intend to fix my teeth properly, using the best available technology for my home dentistry.

I shall not be using mercury/gold/silver amalgam for fillings (dentist D.I.Y stuff) which anyone with any common sense knows (a) is deadly poisonous (mercury at 50%), and (b) falls out at the merest hint of something like for instance … toffee.

David's Isopon P38 is a two-part polyester based paste which sets like bell-metal and sticks to anything … if it's good enough for filling holes and dents in cars and fixing leaky radiators, it's more than capable of dental cavities in the back teeth. It is not deadly poisonous either, which is an added extra bonus.

I'm proposing to use Ronseal High Performance wood filler for front teeth as it can be stained to any colour for a perfect invisible finish (unlike that of a dentist). Admittedly, this isn't quite as hard wearing as the (grey) Isopon, but still a darned sight more than poisonous mercury.

Drilling holes isn't difficult. As a keen modeller, I have a very comprehensive set of drills, grinding wheels and polishing mops for my Dremel 3000 series multitool (including flexi-shaft). This'll run rings around anything next to/above a dentist's chair which runs off (D.I.Y) compressed air, not professional 240 volts from a proper 13amp plug.

With a filling at a dentist's costing (I'm informed) around £50 a pop, I should be running up a bill of (at a conservative estimate) around £27,000.00. Home dentistry should cost around nothing.

There is quite a saving to made here as I'm sure you can work out from these figures.

So, the thing is, I'm sure there are others on here who've done home dentistry … have you any handy tips … stuff that I may not have thought of?

Cut out food containing Phytic Acid, eat foods containing the right balance of vitamins and minerals, keep your mouth very clean, drink plenty of water and your teeth will start to remineralize, assuming that they are not already dead. :D

P38 is, unfortunately, not impervious to moisture and will deteriorate before long in your mouth. Also it's not all that hard wearing.

I'm excited and interested in the stain you speak of which leaves an invisible finish, I believe I would enjoy walking an invisible dog stained like this.

You can buy DIY dental filler kits, I might even have one unopened somewhere. I think I bought it from Boots way back in the day.

P38 is, unfortunately, not impervious to moisture and will deteriorate before long in your mouth. Also it's not all that hard wearing.

I'm excited and interested in the stain you speak of which leaves an invisible finish, I believe I would enjoy walking an invisible dog stained like this.

You can buy DIY dental filler kits, I might even have one unopened somewhere. I think I bought it from Boots way back in the day.

I dare say that P38 may not be totally moisture resistant so far as dental work is concerned ... however, a decent enamel paint would sort that out. It's a hell of a lot harder wearing than mercury though. In P38's defence, my girlfriend's C3's front wing is still going strong after five years of being filled (although it has a misfire which may/may not be related).

You may in actual fact have an invisible dog.

I was going to call this thread 'D.I.Y dentistry', but to me that has the subtle undertones of inept amateurishness … a concept that I don't entertain in any way, shape or form. Hence the much more professional term 'Home dentistry' ... a phrase I shall use throughout.

Basically, my teeth are really rotten and I haven't been to the dentist in years (due mainly to their D.I.Y style of approach). However, now, due to constant pain (not to mention swelling and bleeding), and the fact that I now only have one more emergency back up course of antibiotics at my disposal (unused from a separate 'near death' ailment some years ago), I feel something has to be done about it.

Unlike a dentist, I intend to fix my teeth properly, using the best available technology for my home dentistry.

I shall not be using mercury/gold/silver amalgam for fillings (dentist D.I.Y stuff) which anyone with any common sense knows (a) is deadly poisonous (mercury at 50%), and (b) falls out at the merest hint of something like for instance … toffee.

David's Isopon P38 is a two-part polyester based paste which sets like bell-metal and sticks to anything … if it's good enough for filling holes and dents in cars and fixing leaky radiators, it's more than capable of dental cavities in the back teeth. It is not deadly poisonous either, which is an added extra bonus.

I'm proposing to use Ronseal High Performance wood filler for front teeth as it can be stained to any colour for a perfect invisible finish (unlike that of a dentist). Admittedly, this isn't quite as hard wearing as the (grey) Isopon, but still a darned sight more than poisonous mercury.

Drilling holes isn't difficult. As a keen modeller, I have a very comprehensive set of drills, grinding wheels and polishing mops for my Dremel 3000 series multitool (including flexi-shaft). This'll run rings around anything next to/above a dentist's chair which runs off (D.I.Y) compressed air, not professional 240 volts from a proper 13amp plug.

With a filling at a dentist's costing (I'm informed) around £50 a pop, I should be running up a bill of (at a conservative estimate) around £27,000.00. Home dentistry should cost around nothing.

There is quite a saving to made here as I'm sure you can work out from these figures.

So, the thing is, I'm sure there are others on here who've done home dentistry … have you any handy tips … stuff that I may not have thought of?

How do you combat anesthetics? A base ball bat maybe?

How do you combat anesthetics? A base ball bat maybe?

No need for anaesthetics ... I've been in so much agony with toothache for such a long time now that a different kind of pain'll come as a welcome respite.

Dentists never bother waiting for anaesthetics to kick in anyway (in my experience).

---------- Post added 15-03-2015 at 19:47 ----------

This thread has to be a wind-up.

Apart from anything else, why would a mouthful of fillings @ £50 each cost £27k at a dentists?

Are you a shark, or what?

As I've said ... I have bad teeth. I need a lot of fillings.