Home dentistry advice please ..

If you haven't been for years, how do you know?

Modern dental anaesthetics kick in just about instantly.

I wouldn't let a dentist anywhere near my mouth with a syringe ... they're so ham-fisted they'd probably get my eye by error of judgement. The last time one went near a cavity with a drill they nearly ripped the roof of my mouth off. Prior to that, I had a nerve drilled out before the anaesthetic had chance to have effect. I can do a much better job.

This thread has to be a wind-up.

Apart from anything else, why would a mouthful of fillings @ £50 each cost £27k at a dentists?

Are you a shark, or what?

It clearly isn't a wind-up! My wife has been doing my teeth for years!

I was going to call this thread 'D.I.Y dentistry', but to me that has the subtle undertones of inept amateurishness … a concept that I don't entertain in any way, shape or form. Hence the much more professional term 'Home dentistry' ... a phrase I shall use throughout.

I would respectfully suggest that you go the Charles Clifford Hospital if you inform them that you are in pain they will see youas an emergency and deal with the immediate problem there and then and then address your other issues on an appointment basis. All this will be available to you I believe on the NHS at the expense of tax payers.

I may have misundertood and it may well be an ambition of yours to do this to yourself in which case have fun.

I would respectfully suggest that you go the Charles Clifford Hospital if you inform them that you are in pain they will see youas an emergency and deal with the immediate problem there and then and then address your other issues on an appointment basis. All this will be available to you I believe on the NHS at the expense of tax payers.

I may have misundertood and it may well be an ambition of yours to do this to yourself in which case have fun.

It was the Charles Clifford who tried extracting a nerve without waiting for the anaesthetic to work. I called them not so long a go too ... they have an eighteen month waiting list after being referred by a dentist. Bunch of cowboys if you ask me. I'll do it myself.

By the way ... I pay tax too.

I do hope your joking, because it doesn't sound like a very good idea.

To be fair if your teeth are that bad it's probably past 'filling' time anyway.

I fully realise that a few of them may be beyond conventional dental repair and may indeed perish (especially the one I have to keep pushing back into my jawbone).

This is the main reason I'm currently researching 3D ceramic printing, using alumina silica powder.

There's a lot that a person can do with a Dremel though, before resorting to this high tech approach.

I dare say that P38 may not be totally moisture resistant so far as dental work is concerned ... however, a decent enamel paint would sort that out. It's a hell of a lot harder wearing than mercury though. In P38's defence, my girlfriend's C3's front wing is still going strong after five years of being filled (although it has a misfire which may/may not be related).

You may in actual fact have an invisible dog.

How much chewing does the C3's front wing endure per day? (Is it a dinobot by any chance? If so, I'd love to have a ride).

I don't think I do have an invisible dog.

Edited by RootsBooster

In my youth, I once stuck a temporary crown back on with plastic padding. The dentist wasn't in the least bit impressed. Now I am about to retire, I am working on a project making flavoured dentures. The actual teeth are made from 'Wrigleys Extra' spearmint tablets.

Obviously, I'm expecting some teething problems.

Edited by handypandy

In my youth, I once stuck a temporary crown back on with plastic padding. The dentist wasn't in the least bit impressed. Now I am about to retire, I am working on a project making flavoured dentures. The actual teeth are made from 'Wrigleys Extra' spearmint tablets.

Obviously, I'm expecting some teething problems.

On a similar note, many years ago I superglued a crown back into place after the dentist's glue failed (three times in a month). My repair lasted around a year. The dentist wasn't very impressed either. I presumed he was just jealous because I'd done a better job than him with his inferior materials.

I like the Wrigley's denture idea ... I think Tic-tacs may work splendidly too as they look a bit like teeth in the first place (the white ones ... other ones would look a bit daft). The only downside I can foresee to this is that you may be mistaken for an actor from 'Pillars of the Earth', the naff series set in the tenth century, where even the peasants have impossibly white pristine teeth ... and have (nasty, heavy) things thrown at you.